Question Is gtx 1660 still not enough to play dota 2?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brahmsPC

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
specs:
i7-4790
2x4gb ram 1333
240gb ssd
1tb hdd
corsair vs450

I recently bought zotac gtx 1660 amp! 'non ti', and i'm still getting fps drop during intense clash.
graphics setting on high, vsync off, shadow quality high.
at start im getting 100-120 fps. then dropping to 80-100 fps,
and during high intensive clash dropping to 60fps or lower (i didn't really see what exact fps, but im feeling it).

is there something wrong or 1660 is just not enough to handle dota 2 high settings.?

thank you

brahmsPC

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
You do have the monitor plugged into the 1660 right?

Have you tried updating the bios on your motherboard?

"You do have the monitor plugged into the 1660 right?" HAHA sorry, no offense meant. but yeah of course :))

Have you tried updating the bios on your motherboard? - i think i did, i used driver easy app, and update all.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

brahmsPC

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
Have to ask, you would be surprised how many people make that mistake!

Try getting the latest bios, it should be version 0605
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/B85MGAMER/HelpDesk_BIOS/

"Have to ask, you would be surprised how many people make that mistake! " - yeah and sorry for my response. i know you're just pointing every possible mistake i could have made. And I thank you for that.

anyway, i already checked that bios file. how will I update that? it's .cap file right?

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
i might sound like a broken record here as FPS dips and dives are mostly because of the game being CPU Bound which most HL2 engine based games are. There are things i tried as i faced a similar problem with dota2 back in the day and see if anything works:

* disable antivirus, i know, pretty basic but depending on which one you use, it might be a factor

* Switch from DX to OpenGL or Vulkan (google it up, i am in the office and i cannot give the links on how to do this). See if anything changes

* DSR to 1440p, yes DSR puts the strain on the GPU instead of the CPU, we don't like our CPU getting the bulk of the load when playing videogames. see if anything changes.

* you may also try to enable adaptive Sync or Fast sync and see how it goes with DSR enabled or Disabled. DO NOT USE VSYNC inside the settings menu in Dota 2 because of input lag.

Regarding the VS450, i have been using around 15 pieces of vs450s in our NETCAFE the past 10 years and all are still working. but the specs of my machines are half of your total system power so you might be pushing that vs450 near its limit.

brahmsPC

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
i might sound like a broken record here as FPS dips and dives are mostly because of the game being CPU Bound which most HL2 engine based games are. There are things i tried as i faced a similar problem with dota2 back in the day and see if anything works:

* disable antivirus, i know, pretty basic but depending on which one you use, it might be a factor

* Switch from DX to OpenGL or Vulkan (google it up, i am in the office and i cannot give the links on how to do this). See if anything changes

* DSR to 1440p, yes DSR puts the strain on the GPU instead of the CPU, we don't like our CPU getting the bulk of the load when playing videogames. see if anything changes.

* you may also try to enable adaptive Sync or Fast sync and see how it goes with DSR enabled or Disabled. DO NOT USE VSYNC inside the settings menu in Dota 2 because of input lag.

Regarding the VS450, i have been using around 15 pieces of vs450s in our NETCAFE the past 10 years and all are still working. but the specs of my machines are half of your total system power so you might be pushing that vs450 near its limit.

I will try all those you suggested, but just fyi someone has already pointed out that might be the CPU, but i tried running the game with on-screen display from MSI afterburner. Im only getting 78% usage max on individual CPU.