[SOLVED] Is H150i or H170i Elite Capellix or Arctic Freezer II?

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Ive been thinking about buying a H150i Elite Capellix for an i9-12900 build. I usually by their AIO's, PSU's and RAM because Ive always believed they make quality stuff. But while i was researching the Corsair AIO's i kept seeing articles that talk about how the Arctic Freezer II's perform better than the Corsair's . I dont plan on OC'ing and am trying to decide if i should go for the H150i for $159.99 or the Freezer II 360mm for $149.99. I could even go with the any of Freezer II 420 models right now for less than the cost of the H150i Elite Capellix. I read that besides from performing better, that the Freezer II's are actually quieter then the Corsair's also.

Since im not OC'ing would it really make any sense to go with a 420mm?

Are differences in performance and quietness that much where getting Arctic Freezer II 360 is no brainer?

OR is my belief about quality valid and just stick with Corsair?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I read that besides from performing better, that the Freezer II's are actually quieter then the Corsair's also.
Whoa now, that depends on individual sensitivity to sounds. I would not agree that one is flat out quieter than the other.
Both can be equally quiet, because you have the freedom to adjust the fan curves, and you're going to adjust them to your personal fan curve anyway.

"Since im not OC'ing would it really make any sense to go with a 420mm?"
Past 280mm, it's diminishing returns territory... unless you have to have 140mm fans?
There are also fewer cases that support 420mm AIOs - not discounting the case you have now, this is for later on; if you see another case you like, but can't fit a 420mm in there.
Also, be...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I read that besides from performing better, that the Freezer II's are actually quieter then the Corsair's also.
Whoa now, that depends on individual sensitivity to sounds. I would not agree that one is flat out quieter than the other.
Both can be equally quiet, because you have the freedom to adjust the fan curves, and you're going to adjust them to your personal fan curve anyway.

Past 280mm, it's diminishing returns territory... unless you have to have 140mm fans?
There are also fewer cases that support 420mm AIOs - not discounting the case you have now, this is for later on; if you see another case you like, but can't fit a 420mm in there.
Also, be aware of the LF II's thicker radiator. It may cause clearance issues. Most use 27-30mm thick rads.

"Are differences in performance and quietness that much where getting Arctic Freezer II 360 is no brainer?"
No.

"OR is my belief about quality valid and just stick with Corsair?"
Ehh, some love 'em, some hate 'em. They produce their share of blockbusters and lemons too.
Go ahead and stick with 'em. They haven't let you down yet... what's another few years or so with them?

Solution

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010

Also, be aware of the LF II's thicker radiator. It may cause clearance issues. Most use 27-30mm thick rads.

"Are differences in performance and quietness that much where getting Arctic Freezer II 360 is no brainer?"
No.

"OR is my belief about quality valid and just stick with Corsair?"
Ehh, some love 'em, some hate 'em. They produce their share of blockbusters and lemons too.
Go ahead and stick with 'em. They haven't let you down yet... what's another few years or so with them?

Phaaze,

Thanks for replying. Thanks for the info about the radiator being thicker. Didnt see that in my research. Currently, I have a Silent Base 802 for a case which can fit the 420(only in top location though) also has 140mm fans. Im gonna stick with Corsair.

Only issue im having is i cant seem to find the damn Corsair retrofit kit for LGA1700 anywhere.

edit-
Only issue im having is i cant seem to find the damn Corsair retrofit kit for LGA1700 anywhere.
Only issue im having is i cant seem to find the damn Corsair retention kit for LGA1700 anywhere.

Last edited:

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
I thought i needed the entire kit with bracket which seems to be sold out everywhere, This one...https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...oling/ELITE-Series-Retention-Kit/p/CW-8960093

Do i only need the Standoffs? Having hard time deciphering Corsair info. Saw article from March i think that says the Elites will ship with everything later this year. All descriptions in newegg and in Amazon say parts are required for LGA 1700. I just cant figure out which part .

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Figured it out...
Q&A from Amazon-
Q: Does this require the complete retention kit (cw-8960093), or just the retro fit kit (cw-8960091) for this to work with lga 1700?
A: If you are purchasing a brand new ELITE CAPELLIX cooler or still have the Intel mounting hardware with your existing ELITE CAPELLIX cooler, you will only require the LGA1700 Retrofit Kit (CW-8960091).

Thanks again!