Is Haswell dead?

ravenjedmanicdao

Respectable
Sep 19, 2016
Hello guys, so today I have finally received my brand new motherboard, the ASRock H81M-DGS R2.0, and glad to get a CPU upgrade from the socket 775 to LGA 1150. But is it true that Haswell is useless and no longer powerful by today's standards? I got the i5 4440 for my processor. The old CPU I had was Core 2 Quad Q8400. How significant was the upgrade from C2Q to Haswell i5? BTW, I could not afford Skylake, as the motherboard + CPU were too expensive.

Solution
Not necessarily, it is still relatively strong, it is just outdated in terms of availability of components generally.
You made a good upgrade, nothing to worry about.

ravenjedmanicdao

Respectable
Sep 19, 2016

Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge generation? Nice! I thought Haswell would have been so dead already, like nobody would have been using it, but it was just me

ravenjedmanicdao

Respectable
Sep 19, 2016

Thanks for replying! I was almost thinking this was just a small upgrade. How outdated is Haswell? Hopefully not too much.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

Still using Haswell and doesn't feel outdated yet. Performance wise It's definitely still going strong compared to newer Intel processors, they haven't improved that much since Haswell.

You did an excellent upgrade. I used to own Q9550, and my first jump to Haswell was to Pentium G3258 just for fun (later upgraded to i5). However, I was shocked to see that even at stock speeds, and having only 2 cores with no hyperthreading, the small Pentium managed to soundly beat Q9550 in every single game I throwed at it - in some cases, framerates nearly doubled!

So, yes... a nice, nice upgrade. No worries!

InvalidError

Titan
My i5-3470 is still plenty fast for everything I need it to do. As others have said, CPUs have been getting less than 10% faster year-on-year. For most people, a 30-50% upgrade is nearly worthless and their 3-5 years old CPUs are still perfectly fine.

At this rate, I don't expect to feel an urge to upgrade my PC until after Cannonlake and Ryzen II or whatever AMD calls its first refresh.

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013

abxxx1g.jpg

I have been on a 4770K Haswell onboard an ASUS Maximus VI Hero since 2013.

Dead haswell? Not at all, considering that I haven't even overclocked the chip yet. Running at stock 3.9 GHz most of the time and only overclocking to 4.1 GHz when playing Rome II: Total War.

Don't see myself upgrading CPU/MOBO before 2019 TBH, possibly even 2020.

Conversely, from 2013 to 2020 when I estimate my CPU upgrade will happen, I will have upgraded my GPU 4 times or more.