Is heat the only concern when increasing VCORE?

AssemblerX86

Reputable
Jul 29, 2014
When overclocking a CPU using multiplier, is heat the only thing I should be concerned about when increasing VCORE?

I know that the more voltage it is set to, the more power it will draw from the power supply, ALSO, the motherboard's VRMs have a limit of how much voltage they can endure without overheating, but putting that aside as I have a good power supply and a good overclocking motherboard, is there anything other than cooling I should be concerned about?

For example, would the CPU die get damaged from the increased voltage? Assuming low temps.

Solution
Heat is indeed the first limit you will run into when trying to overclock, especially if using plenty of vCore.

Theoretically, high vCore also speeds degradation by electromigration, but if you keep it below the never-exceed value in its spec sheet it is unlikely to ever matter. There are exceptions of course like Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome or more recently, the Haswell chips with FIVR. Generally the first symptom of degradation is an overclock that used to run stable is no longer, requiring either more voltage and/or progressively lower clocks for stability. Eventually even the stock speed will require very elevated vCore to run stable. These are the used chips to avoid on eBay.

As I prefer an overclocked machine to be...
Heat is indeed the first limit you will run into when trying to overclock, especially if using plenty of vCore.

Theoretically, high vCore also speeds degradation by electromigration, but if you keep it below the never-exceed value in its spec sheet it is unlikely to ever matter. There are exceptions of course like Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome or more recently, the Haswell chips with FIVR. Generally the first symptom of degradation is an overclock that used to run stable is no longer, requiring either more voltage and/or progressively lower clocks for stability. Eventually even the stock speed will require very elevated vCore to run stable. These are the used chips to avoid on eBay.

As I prefer an overclocked machine to be more stable than stock (which is a 1 in 330 chance of an error in any 5-day span), I tend to run more vCore and lower overclocks than most people. But I value stability above performance, efficiency or longevity, and you may not.

Solution

introaether

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018
I believe Each Chip has a maximum suggested Voltage, as well as its own temperature reccomendations.

On my Asus M5A99FX Pro 2.0 with FX 8370, the BIOS colours the Voltage figure. White, through amber to Red. This is representative of the chips Voltage limit.

Google your chip and you should find its specifications.