Question Is higher clocked CPU more important than a GPU at 1080p gaming?

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
If not then why am I getting 121 FPS avg in Shadow of the tomb raider with 3700X and 2080 super while a 2070 super with overclocked 9900k is getting 127 FPS average

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
What are their full system spec?
check cpu/gpu temp and usage?

The video is from Tech Deals YouTube channel titled "16 Graphics cards compared - $100 to $1,100 - Which should you buy"

My GPU Utilization reaches 97% and CPU reaches 70% utilization. GPU temp 51c with 1995MHz and CPU 51c. That is just the first section of the SOTTR benchmark.

That game does tend to be rather demanding on the system overall, so I wouldn't be surprised if things like per-core CPU and RAM performance made more of a difference there than they do in most games. Either way, it's unlikely you would be able to perceive a difference of 6 FPS at those kinds of framerates.

And of course, in addition to the different hardware, we can't assume that the test conditions are the same between their system and yours on the software side of things either. They may potentially have different versions of the OS, drivers or the game itself installed, system settings might potentially be different, there may be different processes running in the background, and so on.

Also, I'm assuming you don't have RTX raytraced lighting effects enabled in that game, just as they likely don't for their benchmark. Those will put a lot more demand on the graphics card when enabled, lowering framerates for improved shadow effects, and with those effects enabled, your 2080 SUPER system would undoubtedly outperform whatever performance their 2070 SUPER system managed.

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
That game does tend to be rather demanding on the system overall, so I wouldn't be surprised if things like per-core CPU and RAM performance made more of a difference there than they do in most games. Either way, it's unlikely you would be able to perceive a difference of 6 FPS at those kinds of framerates.

And of course, in addition to the different hardware, we can't assume that the test conditions are the same between their system and yours on the software side of things either. They may potentially have different versions of the OS, drivers or the game itself installed, system settings might potentially be different, there may be different processes running in the background, and so on.

Also, I'm assuming you don't have RTX raytraced lighting effects enabled in that game, just as they likely don't for their benchmark. Those will put a lot more demand on the graphics card when enabled, lowering framerates for improved shadow effects, and with those effects enabled, your 2080 SUPER system would undoubtedly outperform whatever performance their 2070 SUPER system managed.

I doubt drivers will have such high performance impact. Also Ray tracing is off. The quality is set to highest just like in the video and nothing else is touched.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
What RAM do you have? Exact model, or at least size/configuration, speed, and primary timings. Have you confirmed that your RAM is running at its rated speed?

Does the SotTR have a built in benchmark, and does it reports average FPS, or are you logging the output of FRAPs (or some other utility) and then calculating the average?

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
What RAM do you have? Exact model, or at least size/configuration, speed, and primary timings. Have you confirmed that your RAM is running at its rated speed?

Does the SotTR have a built in benchmark, and does it reports average FPS, or are you logging the output of FRAPs (or some other utility) and then calculating the average?

RAM: G.skill trident z neo 3600MHz CL16 compatible with the Asus x470-F gaming MB and DOCP is enabled.

I ran the SOTTR build in benchmark without any third party monitoring applications or recording softwares and got the average frame rate from it when the test finished.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
Put the graphics settings to low and run the benchmark, if the average framerate stays the same the game is cpu limited.
Do people buy 2080 Supers to game at 1080p?

I tested it on low graphics setting and gained only 6 more frames! So yeah I think the CPU is the bottleneck. And I think this also explains why sometimes I get 75 FPS in GTA Online while my GPU is at ~50% utilization.

But I'm not sure since if it's the bottleneck then shouldn't the 2080 TI with the same CPU get about the same result than what I got 120ish FPS average? Here is the same guy with a 2080 TI and 3700X running the SOTTR benchmark on low:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EfcoM4oFoQ
(at 21:45) and he is getting 139 average FPS.

Yes some games are better played on 1080p resolution, because some games are more enjoyable with high frame rates rather than high resolution. Not saying that SOTTR is more enjoyable with higher frames in facet it's a visual game so higher res and graphics settings is better experience IMO. I'm also about to buy 1440p monitor, but then again some games are more enjoyable with high frame rates like GTA Online or any competitive game.

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
Would you mind downloading CPU-Z and posting screenshots of the Memory and SPD tabs?

Sure here:

RAM : G.Skill 16GB Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600MHz CL16 (F4-3600C16D-16GTZN)

74387ff3954e69f7e90a0adce9d7c624.png
add750f0c81a285914d4f49579deefca.png

7422ed5880609288e2b2b1fc19de1547.png

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TRENDING THREADS