Is HP EX920 the best value NVMe m.2 SSD?

Solution
I would go with the 1TB SSD. I don't know your system, but you may have issues with PCIe lanes. So running 1 NVMe SSD will only use 3 PCIe lanes where as running 2 NVMe drives would use 8 lanes. So if you have a GPU or other PCIe devices, you may run out of lanes or force to share bandwidth.

Additionally, larger drives tend to have better performance because than smaller SSDs. One way they make SSDs faster is they kinda run a raid 0 with the dies on each drive. So a larger drive has more dies which will increase the speed. Larger SSDs also tend to have better endurance as well.

If you don't have a PCIe issue because you don't have GPU or you have an HEDT system with a lot of lanes, you could get two 512gb and run them in raid 0...

Icaraeus

Honorable

Should I go with 2 separate 512GB SSDs or a single 1TB SSD?

I would go with the 1TB SSD. I don't know your system, but you may have issues with PCIe lanes. So running 1 NVMe SSD will only use 3 PCIe lanes where as running 2 NVMe drives would use 8 lanes. So if you have a GPU or other PCIe devices, you may run out of lanes or force to share bandwidth.

Additionally, larger drives tend to have better performance because than smaller SSDs. One way they make SSDs faster is they kinda run a raid 0 with the dies on each drive. So a larger drive has more dies which will increase the speed. Larger SSDs also tend to have better endurance as well.

If you don't have a PCIe issue because you don't have GPU or you have an HEDT system with a lot of lanes, you could get two 512gb and run them in raid 0. You wont see the big performance jump that you would from a raid 0 on HDD, but in some use cases it will move lightning fast.

Solution