Is HY810 thermal paste good for gpu?

AbrarKhAn111

Reputable
Nov 10, 2016
Hello guys,

I bought my gpu 4 months ago now I'm little worried because it goes to 76C temperature and I'm not comfortable with that, so I google ways to to decrease its temperature and I found a way it's called applying thermal paste on gpu. I search near local stores to buy it and I found it, name is HY 810 THERMAL PASTE it costing me only 3$ USD. So my question is, is this Paste really good for decreasing gpu's temperature? Thanks

Solution
yes.
if the performance is not what you want you can get better pads or paste, let the cooler tell you what you need. you cannot swap one for the other unfortunately.
some coolers may have pads over the RAM and paste on the GPU die. in those cases you will need both, new pads or reuse the pads for the RAM and paste for the die.

coffee filters and rubbing alcohol work well for cleaning residual paste off of the coolers and the die.
if there are pads anywhere reuse them or replace them but the thickness of the pads will be crucial. not too thick not too thin.

and just in case you do not already know:
Canned Grounding Rant-
shut down system and remove side panel. with the power cable plugged into the PSU touch a bare unpainted metal area...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
it depends on the GPU and whether it has pads or paste.
some GPU coolers will use a cooling pads and the paste will be too thin in that situation pads are usually 1/16 inch thick, paste will go squeeze into much thinner areas. the problem is the pads thickness will not allow the cooler to mate properly if replaced with paste, pressure could crack the die and kill the GPU.

replace pads with the same thickness pads
replace paste with paste. pretty much all pastes are the same, and will all cool within a few degrees of each other.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-comparison,5108.html
the difference between the best and the worst was 8 degrees, and an improper application can vary the results that much.

AbrarKhAn111

Reputable
Nov 10, 2016
I got gigabyte Gtx 1050 2Gb single fan. So you are saying first I have to check there is pads or paste. Then I should change if there is pad I should change it to new pad, or if there is paste then I should change it to new paste?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
yes.
if the performance is not what you want you can get better pads or paste, let the cooler tell you what you need. you cannot swap one for the other unfortunately.
some coolers may have pads over the RAM and paste on the GPU die. in those cases you will need both, new pads or reuse the pads for the RAM and paste for the die.

coffee filters and rubbing alcohol work well for cleaning residual paste off of the coolers and the die.
if there are pads anywhere reuse them or replace them but the thickness of the pads will be crucial. not too thick not too thin.

and just in case you do not already know:
Canned Grounding Rant-
shut down system and remove side panel. with the power cable plugged into the PSU touch a bare unpainted metal area of the case. (my favorite spot is an unpainted screw securing the PSU) once you have grounded yourself you can unplug the computers power cable from the PSU and can touch the system.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, plug in the cord, reground yourself and unplug again.
end canned rant-

Solution

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1050/

maximum temp 97degrees C. I'd say your good staying 20 degree below

gigabyte should have software that will allow you to control the fan speeds at differing temps, the "fan curve" as it were.
if the temps are bothersome you can turn up the fan.