fahimrehman

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Hi everyone!
I can't decide should I purchase C2D or go for a i3 laptop for enjoying BATTLEFIELD3 gaming....
Please suggest...Thanks

fahimrehman

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Of course I am not looking for a pretty expensive pro gaming lappy like MSI or QOSMIO or ALIENWARE....just an usual lappy but after work where I could see the enemy far away shootin at me eh ;-) THANKS!

for a gaming laptop, i3 hardly stellar and more likely you wont be able to play high end games on it. i have mates who have them and they find there not really up to, todays games. they wish they had gone i5 instead... not because the cpu is a lot better but because the gfx cards that are bundled in the i3 range are pants.
gaming laptops are a misnomer, unless your willing to pay double what you would for a mid range desktop...

+1 jillion

nagisa

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
currently i have a laptop with an i3 330m and a desktop with a pentium E6700

the laptop cost about £450-500 the desktop cost me just under £200 to build (home built ^_^)

the desktop currently beats the crap out of the laptop with everything
running desmume - desktop
running wow - about the same but i think i get more on the desktop by a small margin
playing runescape - dektop with 50FPS on max settings the laptop dosent even get 30 on low settings
crysis - desktop
mikumiku dance (yes its an animation program but i would love to see you play the multi character demo on a low spec machine because when you play your animation it works the frames out on the spot (you might want to go and have a look at it for yourself to understand that bit)

both computers have 2 gigs of ram and crap graphics cards (only the laptops one dosent have a HUGE bottle neck caused by slow ram as its integrated, the desktops graphics card is an 8400 gs the ram is only clocked at 350 mhz and it slows alot of games down)

The problem with playing games on a laptop is the video card. They are generally less powerful than their desktop counterpart. For example, the Mobility Radeon HD 5850 is roughly as powerful as the desktop Radeon HD 5770. The limiting factor for laptop is heat. The more powerful something is the more heat it will produce.

The only real big difference between a mobile Core i3 and Core i5 is that the Core i3 lacks Turbo Boost which is sorta like an automatic overclock. Not too big of a deal by itself, but as mentioned above, the Core i5 laptops gets the better video cards.