[SOLVED] Is i5-10600kf a good server CPU?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 1, 2021
Hey,

I was wondering if Is i5-10600kf will make for a good server CPU ? My reason is that its pretty cheap 270$ CAD. I am trying to build a home server for a full web app that can support 1000 concurrent users. I was also thinking of slapping 32 gb ram and some storage.

Good idea? .. Bad idea?

Solution
Electricity is pretty cheap - I calculated using 700W power supply for whole year. Its less than 200$ / year. But I read that CPU overclocking does not kill it because it goes obsolete before that. Also, I was focusing on cooling very nicely. So thought it could work. Doesnt have to OC 24/7. 12 hours a day is ok I guess.

Vast generalization about Overclocking. If you're overclocking and fully loaded running 24x7 you certainly can wear out the CPU. And you will need to deal with downtime if you need to clean out dust etc. And turning an OC on/off isn't like flipping a switch, you'll need to take your server down to set the settings back to stock. Aside from the fact for your use case its completely 100% useless.

I feel like...
Mar 1, 2021
That is the case with any ISP.
Sure, you can get a business account. For more $$.

Components?
What has your testing shown so far?
10 users, 100 users...?

"load balancer" ? Now you're talking about multiple boxes. Or multiple VM's in one big box.
Which your chosen i5 probably won't cut it.
Bro - the amount of knowledge you have makes me wana cry and is like a lulaby at the same time. I have not done any stress testing yet bro - Dont got that kinda money yet. Just building my very first server. You feel my friend?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
To be honest if you're serious about this, for the cost of hosting it in your home (ISP charges) and the hardware you will probably need, you should contact Microsoft about just renting an Azure cloud server. It solves all your problems for one monthly fee. Zero concern about power, hardware maintenance, ISP, electricity, etc.

USAFRet

Titan
Bro - the amount of knowledge you have makes me wana cry and is like a lulaby at the same time. I have not done any stress testing yet bro - Dont got that kinda money yet. Just building my very first server. You feel my friend?
Amazingly enough, some of us out here do have experience with stuff like this.

And the above recommendation of Azure (or AWS) is spot on.
There are a whole host of things you've probably not even considered yet.

Write the code, pay someone else to host it.

Mar 1, 2021
To be honest if you're serious about this, for the cost of hosting it in your home (ISP charges) and the hardware you will probably need, you should contact Microsoft about just renting an Azure cloud server. It solves all your problems for one monthly fee. Zero concern about power, hardware maintenance, ISP, electricity, etc.
I did the cost - Cloud is 10 times more expensive that me doing it. If I get 32 gb ram, 1TB NVMe SSD and a i5 10600kf - then the whole setup is about a 1000 max, internet is another 100 per month. Total for 4 years is 4800+1000 = 5800, total about 120 per month on a 4 year plan.

Bro - no cloud can match this price for power. On top of that they rip you for network charges. And one server I can maintain - I dont need those guys to do it for me and rip me off there also.

Mar 1, 2021
Amazingly enough, some of us out here do have experience with stuff like this.

And the above recommendation of Azure (or AWS) is spot on.
There are a whole host of things you've probably not even considered yet.

Write the code, pay someone else to host it.
That is true but I dont think there is much more than network and hardware. If it ever goes down I can fix it. You know what I am saying.

Mar 1, 2021
And I know what you're NOT saying...

DDOS, hacking, legal liabilities, etc, etc...

With 1,000 concurrent users, if just 1% of them are bad actors...you're in trouble.

:unsure:
Hacking? I ll read a book or something on it. LOL - Who am i kidding. Ok please tell me one last thing - how do gaming products support multiplayer servers ?

For example: Even if one game that sells at 50$ has 1000 buyers - their total revenue is 50,000. Their cloud cost could be 100s of thousands.

How does it all work ?

If I get 32 gb ram, 1TB NVMe SSD and a i5 10600kf...
...but I dont think there is much more than network and hardware. If it ever goes down I can fix it.
I admire your enthusiasm.. seriously :)

Yes, you can make "server" that way.. and it will work, of course... Just don't expect too much (speed, reliability, etc.), look at it more as an (learning) experiment. At the end, you can still use it as your normal home PC.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I did the cost - Cloud is 10 times more expensive that me doing it. If I get 32 gb ram, 1TB NVMe SSD and a i5 10600kf - then the whole setup is about a 1000 max, internet is another 100 per month. Total for 4 years is 4800+1000 = 5800, total about 120 per month on a 4 year plan.

Bro - no cloud can match this price for power. On top of that they rip you for network charges. And one server I can maintain - I dont need those guys to do it for me and rip me off there also.

No it is not, first off your theoretical $1000 machine won't handle or perform to the level you want it. Secondly 1tb of storage isn't nearly enough, third your $100 internet plan isn't going to allow you to support such a commercial enterprise, and then you have to remember what you will be paying for electricity to power it, and components could wear out and need replacement, AND you will want to have a backup plan to backup your data.

You definitely did not do the math, because what you could spend on a cloud server is a fraction of the cost of doing it yourself and you deal with 0 headache. It literally makes no sense to host your own server at home these days.

Mar 1, 2021
I admire your enthusiasm.. seriously :)

Yes, you can make "server" that way.. and it will work, of course... Just don't expect too much (speed, reliability, etc.), look at it more as an (learning) experiment. At the end, you can still use it as your normal home PC.
Thanks man. I appreciate you pushing me on. Yeah - I am getting fascinated by hardware so i ll get to learn a lot if anything.

Mar 1, 2021
No it is not, first off your theoretical $1000 machine won't handle or perform to the level you want it. Secondly 1tb of storage isn't nearly enough, third your $100 internet plan isn't going to allow you to support such a commercial enterprise, and then you have to remember what you will be paying for electricity to power it, and components could wear out and need replacement, AND you will want to have a backup plan to backup your data.

You definitely did not do the math, because what you could spend on a cloud server is a fraction of the cost of doing it yourself and you deal with 0 headache. It literally makes no sense to host your own server at home these days.
I was checking out AWS because it seemed like the cheapest option : t4g.2xlarge at Amazon is 0.2688 / hr. That for 1 month comes to 750*.2 = $150. Mine is only 120. But HOLD ON - this is only the cost of the EC2 and my 120 is inclusive of EVERYTHING.

I know you maybe finding my way of thinking naive, and I do agree it is because I dont even know what I am missing. But atleast you now know how I am trying to approach this problem - using ground up thinking.

OH and wait - I can OC my cpu - I cant go over certain % with these cloud providers.

USAFRet

Titan
Hacking? I ll read a book or something on it. LOL - Who am i kidding. Ok please tell me one last thing - how do gaming products support multiplayer servers ?

For example: Even if one game that sells at 50$ has 1000 buyers - their total revenue is 50,000. Their cloud cost could be 100s of thousands.

How does it all work ?
How do you figure their "cloud costs" are that much?

They don't pay the same connection costs as you would at home.
How to host multiple game servers for thousands of users? A farm of racks and servers, larger than your house.

Start small. Pay MS or Amazon for hosting this.
Let them deal with the bandwidth and most of the security.

USAFRet

Titan

If that is the extent of your math, this application is doomed to fail.

Mar 1, 2021
How do you figure their "cloud costs" are that much?

They don't pay the same connection costs as you would at home.
How to host multiple game servers for thousands of users? A farm of racks and servers, larger than your house.

Start small. Pay MS or Amazon for hosting this.
Let them deal with the bandwidth and most of the security.
I guess I was assuming..hmm. Bad newbie. No assuming. Gotta find hard numbers.

kanewolf

Titan
Yeah - I didnt think i needed to hire someone else to be doing security for this 1 server haha. Thats why I kept asking if 1 server can support 1000 CPUs.

LOl I am not stupid fam - Just really tryna figure this out but its cool!
Get it to work for 10 users on AWS. You can start with a tiny server. Determine what your load is. If it is too much then move to a larger instance. Get the software to WORK. Then worry about how to scale it. That scaling has to include WAN cost, security, etc.

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah - I didnt think i needed to hire someone else to be doing security for this 1 server haha. Thats why I kept asking if 1 server can support 1000 CPUs.

LOl I am not stupid fam - Just really tryna figure this out but its cool!
It is a public facing server.
This WILL get access attempts. Every day, all day.

And a DDOS needs no "access attempts". Just takes one argument between two idiots, and your whole residential connection is cut off.

Renting space at Azure or AWS does not need to be a permanent thing.
Start there. Later (in a year or two), then you might consider self hosting. Still a bad idea, but self hosting is not the way to start.

And the question not yet asked....who are these 1,000 users?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I was checking out AWS because it seemed like the cheapest option : t4g.2xlarge at Amazon is 0.2688 / hr. That for 1 month comes to 750*.2 = $150. Mine is only 120. But HOLD ON - this is only the cost of the EC2 and my 120 is inclusive of EVERYTHING.

I know you maybe finding my way of thinking naive, and I do agree it is because I dont even know what I am missing. But atleast you now know how I am trying to approach this problem - using ground up thinking.

OH and wait - I can OC my cpu - I cant go over certain % with these cloud providers.

Your math is still wrong because your $120 does not include everything, again electricity to run it, and there is NO WAY your ISP is going to allow that kind of traffic on a $100 home plan.

Overclocking the CPU on a server is NOT going to help you in the slightest, You do not need more speed, you need more capacity, going faster does nothing for you. And overclocking a CPU with that kind of load, working 24x7 it will just burn out sooner.

Rent the smallest cheapest server space, get yourself started, then add capacity as you need it. I'd hope people are going to pay you for this eventually.

Mar 1, 2021
Your math is still wrong because your $120 does not include everything, again electricity to run it, and there is NO WAY your ISP is going to allow that kind of traffic on a $100 home plan.

Overclocking the CPU on a server is NOT going to help you in the slightest, You do not need more speed, you need more capacity, going faster does nothing for you. And overclocking a CPU with that kind of load, working 24x7 it will just burn out sooner.

Rent the smallest cheapest server space, get yourself started, then add capacity as you need it. I'd hope people are going to pay you for this eventually.
Electricity is pretty cheap - I calculated using 700W power supply for whole year. Its less than 200$ / year. But I read that CPU overclocking does not kill it because it goes obsolete before that. Also, I was focusing on cooling very nicely. So thought it could work. Doesnt have to OC 24/7. 12 hours a day is ok I guess.

USAFRet

Titan
You don't OC a server.
Instead, you spec and build a server to handle the workload.

Of course, the actual workload here is completely unknown as of yet.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Vast generalization about Overclocking. If you're overclocking and fully loaded running 24x7 you certainly can wear out the CPU. And you will need to deal with downtime if you need to clean out dust etc. And turning an OC on/off isn't like flipping a switch, you'll need to take your server down to set the settings back to stock. Aside from the fact for your use case its completely 100% useless.

I feel like you have an answer for everything we throw at you, yet you say you don't know much about it. I literally manage servers for a living. There is nothing good about owning your own home server for something like this, not with the options out there. If you decide to grow its as simple as a phonecall to your Microsoft or Amazon rep to get more storage or CPU cores or whatever you need. You're not managing antivirus, or software licenses or anything else, you can focus on your application and thats it. You're not worried about maintaining hardware, or possible downtime, or anything else like that. And cost wise its the same or less. My company is literally getting out of the hardware business and fully hosting everything on Azure or AWS over the next couple years, as is everyone else.

Solution
Mar 1, 2021

I feel like you have an answer for everything we throw at you, yet you say you don't know much about it. I literally manage servers for a living. There is nothing good about owning your own home server for something like this, not with the options out there. If you decide to grow its as simple as a phonecall to your Microsoft or Amazon rep to get more storage or CPU cores or whatever you need. You're not managing antivirus, or software licenses or anything else, you can focus on your application and thats it. You're not worried about maintaining hardware, or possible downtime, or anything else like that. And cost wise its the same or less. My company is literally getting out of the hardware business and fully hosting everything on Azure or AWS over the next couple years, as is everyone else.
Thanks buddy. You answer was very elaborate and it cleared a lot of the things up for me.! I see a lot of other startups lik Vultr and stuff. DO you think they will survive or will AWS be the rockefeller of cloud ?
How do you see this going?

And No, I dont have the answer to everything you have asked. I "think" I have the answer to everything you have asked. Its like I have just woken up and you are asking me if I know where I am . Err.. I can see that its sunny outside haha.

TRENDING THREADS