[SOLVED] Is i5 12600k good enough for my needs?

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
I'm planning to upgrade my pc at some point and I'm told that more cores for the cpu helps in the video editing side as well as handle games fine. So I thought of going with 12600k.

I'm going to use Seasonic PX Focus+ 850w platinum which is on my current pc and the motherboard I'm going for is Asus Prime Z690M-PLUS D4. Do I need to get the better ones or will the 12600k do just fine?

Solution
Very similar use case on my side and I went for the 12700K. More than impressed and a happy medium ground with lot of grunt for editing and games and fairly efficient across the board. Whilst you could quiet happily use a 12600K I would go for the 12700 or 12700K especially on editing and productivity side with the additional cores coming into play. The iGPU can come in handy for trouble shooting and the QuickSync feature also has some uses on the encoding and decoding side but software dependant.

kanewolf

Titan
I'm planning to upgrade my pc at some point and I'm told that more cores for the cpu helps in the video editing side as well as handle games fine. So I thought of going with 12600k.

I'm going to use Seasonic PX Focus+ 850w platinum which is on my current pc and the motherboard I'm going for is Asus Prime Z690M-PLUS D4. Do I need to get the better ones or will the 12600k do just fine?
There is no reasonable way for anyone answer since you haven't provided any specific workload or any baseline to compare against.
So far you have asked the equivalent of "I am going to buy a car. Will a Kia meet my requirements?"

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
There is no reasonable way for anyone answer since you haven't provided any specific workload or any baseline to compare against.
So far you have asked the equivalent of "I am going to buy a car. Will a Kia meet my requirements?"

Ok so I'm not very experienced on pc builds yet so how to ask which 12th CPU to get that does my video editing and gaming needs. What do I require to decide on this?

Basically video editing people are saying a cpu with more cores helps. And when I export videos on my current cpu, it takes time without doing overclocking.

Your help is appreciated as always

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
The cpu I have now which is i7 7700 doesn't support windows 11. And when I'm doing video editing it takes very long to get videos exported.

And the general reason is to get a motherboard with gen 4 m.2 slots as my current motherboard only has one

USAFRet

Titan
The cpu I have now which is i7 7700 doesn't support windows 11. And when I'm doing video editing it takes very long to get videos exported.

And the general reason is to get a motherboard with gen 4 m.2 slots as my current motherboard only has one
Sorry...I should have been clearer:

What is the full spec of the system you have now? ALL parts...

Win 11?
4x M.2 ports? Why?!?

Very similar use case on my side and I went for the 12700K. More than impressed and a happy medium ground with lot of grunt for editing and games and fairly efficient across the board. Whilst you could quiet happily use a 12600K I would go for the 12700 or 12700K especially on editing and productivity side with the additional cores coming into play. The iGPU can come in handy for trouble shooting and the QuickSync feature also has some uses on the encoding and decoding side but software dependant.

Reactions: WrongRookie
Solution
PS on the motherboard side take a good look at what you might need as there is quite a bit of variation and you will be living with it for a long while. Number of PCIe gen 4 gen 3 NVMe slots, USB C/Thunderbolt etc but in general MSI have done a good job on both B660 and Z690 and even though I like Asus they are bit on the pricey side. Gigabyte did not seem to have there BIOS in perfect order but that might have improved and have a decent line up priced fairly well....

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Sorry...I should have been clearer:

What is the full spec of the system you have now? ALL parts...

Win 11?
4x M.2 ports? Why?!?

My system specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700@ 3.60GHz
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology

Ram 16.0 GB Dual-Channel @ 1063MHz
CT8G4DFS8213.M8FB

Motherboard: Supermicro C7H270-CG-ML(CPU)

Graphics

ViewSonic XG2401(1920X1080@144Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti(ZOTAC INTERNATIONAL)

Storage

2TB Western Digital Blue Hard Drive
1TB Kingston A200

Optical Drives

Asus DRW-24D5MT

AUDIO
Realtek High Definition Audio

As for why Win 11....I mean that is what MS would want us all to move onto. And four M.2 Slots for the benefit of using gen four slots more often than sata ssd.

I would recommend a 12700, on a decent B660 board then.

So will this motherboard support 12700/K Seems like a good motherboard especially being the only matx. I'm fine that it offers three m.2 for the price.

KyaraM

Admirable
My system specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700@ 3.60GHz
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology

Ram 16.0 GB Dual-Channel @ 1063MHz
CT8G4DFS8213.M8FB

Motherboard: Supermicro C7H270-CG-ML(CPU)

Graphics

ViewSonic XG2401(1920X1080@144Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti(ZOTAC INTERNATIONAL)

Storage

2TB Western Digital Blue Hard Drive
1TB Kingston A200

Optical Drives

Asus DRW-24D5MT

AUDIO
Realtek High Definition Audio

As for why Win 11....I mean that is what MS would want us all to move onto. And four M.2 Slots for the benefit of using gen four slots more often than sata ssd.

So will this motherboard support 12700/K Seems like a good motherboard especially being the only matx. I'm fine that it offers three m.2 for the price.

It will support them. As in, they fit and would likely run. But it's honestly not a great board. I would go with a MSI B660M-A Pro or if you consider to OC the k-chip, an MSI Z690-A Pro. The B660M-A lacks OC, but is cheaper than the Asus board (which is only nominally useful for OC anyways...) and should be similar to better in all categories. It would be the best fit for a 12700. Also, I would upgrad your RAM, too, to a 16 or better 32GB DDR4-3600 kit. The one you got now will hamstring your CPU, it's very slow by today's standards. Is there a reason for mATX? To be frank... I would personally upgrade the whole system. But that's your own decision.

Reactions: vMax

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
It will support them. As in, they fit and would likely run. But it's honestly not a great board. I would go with a MSI B660M-A Pro or if you consider to OC the k-chip, an MSI Z690-A Pro. The B660M-A lacks OC, but is cheaper than the Asus board (which is only nominally useful for OC anyways...) and should be similar to better in all categories. It would be the best fit for a 12700. Also, I would upgrad your RAM, too, to a 16 or better 32GB DDR4-3600 kit. The one you got now will hamstring your CPU, it's very slow by today's standards. Is there a reason for mATX? To be frank... I would personally upgrade the whole system. But that's your own decision.
Because I intend to use my current case for the next build which is the Corsair Carbide Series CC-9011050-WW Mid-Tower Steel Gaming Case. I'm not sure if it can support full atx board and even if so, I'm again unsure that without a panel at the top of the PSU, would it really be a good idea for the motherboard to be nearly as close as the PSU?

KyaraM

Admirable
Because I intend to use my current case for the next build which is the Corsair Carbide Series CC-9011050-WW Mid-Tower Steel Gaming Case. I'm not sure if it can support full atx board
It can. It's an ATX case of approximately the same size as my own case.

and even if so, I'm again unsure that without a panel at the top of the PSU, would it really be a good idea for the motherboard to be nearly as close as the PSU?
Completely irrelevant. I have run ATX boards without PSU panels for ages now and they all lived longer than I use the computer. My last upgrade was from a 7600k to a 12700k. Both ATX boards, neither had a panel between it and the PSU. System is still working, just by now too slow for my needs. And the GPU sits almost directly on top of the PSU with oy a couple cm between them to boot, still lives, still as fast and running cool as day one. They are mainly for optics anyways, not because the PSU otherwise damages anything.

So if you want the 12700, I would say get the MSI Pro B660-A, else the Pro Z690-A (or without OC, the B660) for a 12700k.

If it is the Spec 01 case, then it can support an ATX motherboard. Also agree with the comments on DDR4 3600 which is very cost effective right now. Should be no issues on the PSU side as it will draw air from below the case and exhaust out of the back...Had a similar setup a long time ago and no issues..though some M-ATX options below..

Just some examples though you can reuse your CPU cooler provided you can get the socket 1700 bracket. Also shop around as there are some big price differences...and of course country dependant.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4NhqRv

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($369.99 @ Amazon)
CPU: Intel Core i7-12700 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor ($344.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($43.78 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard choices
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B660M-PLUS WIFI D4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($179.00 @ Amazon)

In the future you cam add a PCIe Gen 4 x 4 NVMe M.2 SSD like the one below which is a huge increase in performance:
Storage: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S70 Blade 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.72 @ Amazon)

Because I intend to use my current case for the next build which is the Corsair Carbide Series CC-9011050-WW Mid-Tower Steel Gaming Case. I'm not sure if it can support full atx board and even if so, I'm again unsure that without a panel at the top of the PSU, would it really be a good idea for the motherboard to be nearly as close as the PSU?

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

There's no need to have the PSU isolated.