Question Is i5-8600K still good? Should I upgrade? (budget-range)

jcdomingo

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
Hello! I was thinking about a budget upgrade path for my i5-8600K should I? My budget is around 280-290$. I was thinking about going for an AMD Ryzen 5 5600 (not the X/G) partnered with a B550M Aorus Elite Motherboard; it fits my budget, or are there any better options?
Clearly my GTX 1060 6GB is old so I'm also thinking about upgrading my GPU next year. I might also go for budget options like an RTX 3060/Ti or probably might be the upcoming rtx 4060 too.
I mainly use my PC for coding, editing and playing single player AAA games (@1080p).
Is it a good upgrade path? I appreciate your suggestions.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
With a BIOS update and according to your current motherboard, you may be able to socket a 9900K. They are known to be hot but are also great 8 core performers.
GPU options are vast right now, and alongside such upgrades as the aforementioned CPU and new GPU are how old and what quality level is the current PSU. When you change platforms it can often lead to needing a new OS key...(and so on)

IMO, if you are looking for the quickest bang to the buck, and your PSU is up to it, a 3060 or 6600XT + level GPU would be a great place to start.

jcdomingo

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
With a BIOS update and according to your current motherboard, you may be able to socket a 9900K. They are known to be hot but are also great 8 core performers.
GPU options are vast right now, and alongside such upgrades as the aforementioned CPU and new GPU are how old and what quality level is the current PSU. When you change platforms it can often lead to needing a new OS key...(and so on)

IMO, if you are looking for the quickest bang to the buck, and your PSU is up to it, a 3060 or 6600XT + level GPU would be a great place to start.
I forgot to mention that my z370 hd3 mobo for the i5-8600K is dead. thus, I'm kinda torn If I should buy a replacement motherboard. And the thing is, it's hard to find a z370 boards these days (unless used). I was only able to find some z390s out there, but they are way expensive like 170-175$; so, isn't that not worth it especially nowadays? So instead, I figured I should just go for an upgrade.

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
What Ram and PSU do you currently have?

You will be looking at a new platform and a 5600 + b550 for AMD or something like a 12400 + B660 (DDR4) intel for the money you have available. Either would be a good choice but the RAM speed may dictate which would be the better choice