[SOLVED] Is i7-4790 or i5-4690k unclocked better for gaming?

Apr 24, 2019
I was given an Asus Z97M-Plus motherboard with a i5 4690k cpu and was wondering if I should put a i7 4790 cpu I have lying around on the motherboard. Its for my son so I wont be overclocking for reliability reasons. We have a GTX 1060-3gb Gpu and its solely a gaming PC for COD ww2, Battlefield V, AC odyssey and the like running at 1080p max.

All the info I read is conflicting as to which is better.

Thanks

Solution
The i5 and i7 are intrinsically the same cpu. The only real difference with the i7 is the hyperthreading which allows a 4core / 4thread cpu to have 4core / 8thread capability.

I7 is far more versatile, many games will be limited by thread count on the i5.

Also the i7 is a locked cpu. Kinda removes any ability to OC and the temptation therein.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The i5 and i7 are intrinsically the same cpu. The only real difference with the i7 is the hyperthreading which allows a 4core / 4thread cpu to have 4core / 8thread capability.

I7 is far more versatile, many games will be limited by thread count on the i5.

Also the i7 is a locked cpu. Kinda removes any ability to OC and the temptation therein.

Solution
Apr 21, 2019
I was given an Asus Z97M-Plus motherboard with a i5 4690k cpu and was wondering if I should put a i7 4790 cpu I have lying around on the motherboard. Its for my son so I wont be overclocking for reliability reasons. We have a GTX 1060-3gb Gpu and its solely a gaming PC for COD ww2, Battlefield V, AC odyssey and the like running at 1080p max.

All the info I read is conflicting as to which is better.

Thanks
This might be helpful...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uOJJLqVWR8&t=748s

SkyRock1986

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
I'm going to play devils advocate here.. Please hear me out. The i5 Haswell 4690k is a better option for gaming. I've had both cpus and the performance was even noticeably better on the i5. Reason behind this is the Faster OC quad core speeds, and slightly faster single core performance. The i5 can reach 4.8Ghz turbo, while the i7 is only 3.6Ghz max. The ONLY time the i7 our performs the i5 here is during workstation task. Multi threading. Believe me boss the i5 is a better choice for gaming.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Since you have both processors, you have the wherewithal to try both.
The big value of the 4690K is that it can be overclocked.
The K processors are designed to be overclocked.
You have a Z97 motherboard which is designed for overclocking.
Overclocking a K is a bit of a misnomer. It consists simply of raising the all core multiplier from the default 35 to a higher number. something like 45 might be reasonable.
Two caveats;
Keep the voltage under a safe number which I think is 1.3v.
Keep the stress test temperature to 85c which may require a god cooler.

If son plays multiplayer games with many participants, the extra threads of the 4770 might be better.
OTOH, if he plays cpu centric games like sims, strategy or mmo then the faster single thread performance of an overclocked 4690K is likely to be better.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Op said No OC. Kinda removes any advantage to clock speeds the i5 might possibly attain. I own both an i5-3570k and i7-3770K. At the same speeds, I'd take the i7 any day. Games like cs:go, lol etc play equally well, easily beyond 60fps (I'm at a solid 300) and most newer games are similar if restricted to 4 threads or less. Which leaves more intensive games like gta:v which plays better with more threads, even if fps I slightly lower.

Versatity to play any game decently is better than specializing in a few.

Apr 24, 2019
ill let him play with the i5 then ill upgrade later, im interested to know if it makes a difference with the games he plays. Ill keep an eye on the cpu and gpu usage

The reason I don't want to OC is because its a budget build of $300 aud and I want a build I don't need to continually watch and tinker with. Plus a good cooler is another $120 plus. For the budget im pretty happy with what I can give him

Thanks everyone for your advice and input :)