Question Is increasing VRam through BIOS safe?

Apr 25, 2019
Specs:

AMD A9-9420 RADEON R5, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C +3G 3.00 GHz
RAM:4 GB

So, I'm currently playing the Assassins Creed franchise all over again, and I realised, looking at the game's minimum specifications, I don't have enough VRAM - Minimum is 512 mb, I only have 128 mb. So is it safe to change it through the BIOS settings, if I even can?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well that is an integrated GPU, so its VRAM is the system memory, which you can sometimes change in the BIOS. It takes away from your system memory to do so though. With only 4GB system total, you will be running quite low to run the actual game.

It may automatically allocate more memory to the GPU when you are playing games as well. So it could be as good as it is going to get already.

You do have a relatively inexpensive system, just not really meant for high end gaming. So the above advice to look at new hardware isn't terrible.

Shouldn't be too hard to track down a used or refurbished laptop with a decent dedicated GPU. Everyone is seemingly moving very fast to any ultrabook or laptop with an Nvidia 10 series GPU, so there should be lots of 700 and 900 series models around.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Specs:

AMD A9-9420 RADEON R5, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C +3G 3.00 GHz
RAM:4 GB

So, I'm currently playing the Assassins Creed franchise all over again, and I realised, looking at the game's minimum specifications, I don't have enough VRAM - Minimum is 512 mb, I only have 128 mb. So is it safe to change it through the BIOS settings, if I even can?

You have an AMD APU with onboard graphics, so If the BIOS settings offer it, yes it is safe, just keep in mind that cuts down your system memory so if you're on the edge in that respect that may cause the game to run poorly or not at all for different reasons.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.