Is Intel Pushing Android-based Notebook Hybrids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
People want cheap kit and, for some reason, Android is the current software with 'the buzz'. It doesn't matter if it's any good it's what people are telling other people to buy. As for business... Not a chance in the world.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
"One OEM source supposedly said that Microsoft is destroying the PC industry while another said that Microsoft has driven millions of customers over to Apple. Based on the DigiTimes report, OEMS are flocking to Android to produce lucrative solutions to make up for the revenue void that Windows 8 has seemingly left behind." - This paragraph makes me laugh. Dear OEM, stop pushing crappy hardware year after year

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
"One OEM source supposedly said that Microsoft is destroying the PC industry while another said that Microsoft has driven millions of customers over to Apple. Based on the DigiTimes report, OEMS are flocking to Android to produce lucrative solutions to make up for the revenue void that Windows 8 has seemingly left behind." - This paragraph makes me laugh. Dear OEM, stop pushing crappy hardware year after year

InvalidError

Titan
You can buy a low-end Win8 laptop for ~$350 and a convertible is almost a laptop with the computer mounted to the back of the LCD rather than under the keyboard... or conversely, a tablet with custom keyboard dock.

Intel's $500 goal for an Android convertible is somewhat on the high side if they expect to whip up significant demand for it in a market flooded with $200-300 devices that can do just about the same stuff except for requiring an aftermarket bluetooth keyboard to do so.

Of course, it isn't in Intel's own interest to lower goals that far but this is what trends since the N7's introduction point to.

gnodeb

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I really think that problem is with hardware vendors. I've upgraded several Win7 machines to Win8 and I'm not looking back. But I didn't purchase any new hardware. I already have 4 PC at home... I don't need faster one so no reason for upgrade. I would like to have some nice convertible, but I'm not willing to pay 1500 euros for it (that is the price of Sony duo 11 here). I'm tired of waiting for reasonable offer while hearing complains about M$. M$ gave us cheaper then ever OS that does not require faster hardware. Get over it and make something worth of spending money... or I'm going to eat a lot of icecream instead :D

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

The new interface is BS. You can't do line breaks without editing in the forums.

See the gap between these two paragraphs? You can't do this in the article comment section, or else you get the message, "An error has occured." (very specific and helpful isn't it?). Seriously though, what kind of interface can't handle simple line breaks? What is this, the 80s?

Andohbytheway, it's "occurred", not "occured". Even the errors have errors...
yo dawg...

Toms...turning back into dinosaurs one flaw at a time.

psiboy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
As someone who works the front line selling pc's (for one of Australia's biggest computer retailers) I see the major oem's as having caused the slowdown by not pushing enough stock of the few touch based models they make to retailers in anything remotely resembling sufficient stock! Could have sold 5 times more windows 8 devices if we could get our hands on sufficient stock! They completely missed the the mark with what consumers actually want at least in the quantities anyway.... Not to mention too many units with Atom's in them which consumers associate with piss poor performance thanks to netbooks!

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011

Oh so that's why i was getting those errors! Thanks :D

And you know the state of proofreading on this site...

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Well, Microsoft, you did not listen to us. Let's see if you listen to others in the industry. For the love of God, stop your stubbornness and patch Win 8. Give consumers (You remember us, right?) the option to use Metro or not or boot straight to the desktop. And don't give me that Win 95 BS. All you had to do was run "progman.exe" and your new Win 95 desktop looked like the old Win 3.1 desktop. You eased us in to that Start button but you didn't ease us off. We don't mind change but we all like to do it at our own pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.