Is Intel's Core i3-530 Fast Enough For Performance Gaming?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I think the whole point of of this article is not to prove one processor over another. I built an i3 system and it is a great budget gaming computer. I am not a gamer though. I play things like FSX. The point of this article is to show that if you plan on having a budget on a gaming PC, going high-end on a 4 or 5 hundred dollar CPU is completely pointless unless your one of those looking for a status symbol or something. If you plan on using SLI with a couple of 400 dollar graphics cards, then you should probably consider a higher end CPU. Otherwise, the claim that the i3 is the "bottleneck" of a PC is totally false. This proves that for mid-level gamers on a budget. Great article!!!

janfebmar

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
Everybody keeps complaining about not testing the setup with GTA IV.. Now which is more demanding.. Crysis or GTA IV? Crysis.
GTA IV is just a lousy console port that doesnt utilize much of a PC's hardware.. the reason people think its hard on the cpu is because its a poorly made port.

G

yea you have to try cpu intensive games in this benchmark and ALSO INCLUDE CORE 2 DUO PROCESSOR WITH CORE i3

jediron

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
1) I have owned a E8400 and now i have a i7 920. I played GTA IV with both CPU's, using the same HD4850 CF setup. You will have to take my word for it that i was not impressed by any major difference in FPS/gameplay! I recorded a "huge" difference of about 3FPS on average.
You can imagine, it doesn't mean shit when you are "in the action".
Funny thing is, one of the reasons i bought the i7 920 is because everyone "so calld experts" sweared that a dualcore was crap for GTA IV and a quadcore was way to go. Well, i put their words to the test and it ended up in a big disappointed. Well, as far as GTA IV performance goes, that is. Encoding is another hobby, so it suits well in the end.

2. Future games will mostly be ports from consolole games. In many cases, not the best ports also. Why worry so much about cpu performance tomorrow, as you can see that a three, four year old E8400 still manage to be there,often right in the top of the charts.

I am glad we Tom ain't showing as useless 800x600 low settings results, to show a "theoraticle potential of cpu power", while in the end, in practice; you are gonna swear your pc if it doesn't handle 2 or 4X AA at 1920x1200 for example, with HIGH settings.

Really people, you're lookin at it the wrong way. Tom's spot on here, my congratulations!

G

Is this is a mistake? how come is that the GA-P55-UD3R motherboard support the Intel Core i3-530 Dual Core processor?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]CurrectME[/nom]Is this is a mistake? how come is that the GA-P55-UD3R motherboard support the Intel Core i3-530 Dual Core processor?[/citation]Because the CPU and the motherboard are both LGA1156.

tpoke

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
I think this is enough to justify alot of questions heres a recent build for friend of mine.
I3 FTW Gaming always[Power/Heat/Performance]

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]tpoke[/nom]I think this is enough to justify alot of questions heres a recent build for friend of mine.I3 FTW Gaming always[Power/Heat/Performance]
th_i3vi7.png
[/citation]You're really hurting your argument using 3DMark because it's not a game, and it uses a "CPU" score that has nothing to do with gaming. The "Compared System" gets 2000 additional CPU marks but doesn't actually game better.

tpoke

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
Nice troll but the picture also show 2k less cpu score doing the same amount of work pushing the graphics scores. showing that even 200mhz faster its still lower heat wattage and would run games the same. sm 2.0 and sm 3.0 performance is often gimped but low end cpus. Heck i've seen kids with p4's with 5850's. The data's there if you actually thought rather then flaming someone over your inability to understand even medium computer concept of gaming. Chalk the extra score to cpu and you get the same result. Yes you can bash my ghrammer and spelling if it makes it less sore.

tpoke

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
I can't believe I make a post here and get attacked[TROLLED]by a admin or reviewer... Wow your easy to pick out of a crowd fast bud. I'm sorry that you feel that way and have to use your title to hide behind your misdirecting comment, but using benchmark software as been a cutting edge of estimating performance for years now and is used here at Tomshardware and many other review sites which don't have 40 year old men acting like 10 year olds. 3dmark06 is not a game its a benchmark software to show a performance range, thats why its called a benchmark. I'm still not seeing anything your getting at because there is nothing to get at as stated before you are a troller maybe you should ask questions not make misdirecting comments next time for the sake that people sometimes read these for guidance. I don't need to tell you your job..... I understand that to keep your e-peen intact and totally go against any of your own reviews and other benchmarks and guidance similar to ones on this site and remove me and my comments because you decided to troll a member. Sorry you had a bad day at the office and I was a new enough member for you to take it out on or never saw your name in comment bars had more heated discussions on other topic or any previous ones dropping a douche bomb. As I am not guilt tripping you nor threatening like you after someone point out obviously what your doing. I bid you and your scared views of anything outside your mind or trusted other reviewers box to lay to waste. That about sums it up have a nice day, try not to let the guys know you tagging along on all the projects and reviews for me ;-), stay busy looking and laugh at people jokes you don't like keeping floating through the day and using your title to fend of things and ya just might keep that desk job until retirement bud. Yes your free to use this to argue with your coworkers for brownie or sympathy points truth is they don't care, will just BS with you to blow the steam or just enjoy watching your blood pressure rise from the truth. Warning: If you feel this was a attack of personal demeanor please seek council. If theres any other thing in life that may confuse or disorient you feel free to seek council as well and stop being dicks to people at random.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]tpoke[/nom]I can't believe I make a post here and get attacked[TROLLED]by a admin or reviewer...[/citation]Now you're just lying, which is something I'm not allowed to say unless it's blatantly obvious. Without even disagreeing with your findings, I told you that 3DMark scores were not the strongest way to present them. I was pointing you towards alternative benchmarks simply to help you make a stronger argument with numbers that more people would find agreeable. And you attacked me for being helpful.

Everything you said after that is, as you say, "trolling". Calling you out for lying in your second response is in fact the only negative thing I've said about you. Thank you for reading the review, but no thanks for your wild-eyed conspiracy theories.

salh

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
fu!?!?! not everyone can afford a good good gfx card, ther are some gamers who are 14 and dont hav a job
i got a budget 500-800$ and thing in my country cost twice as much as they do in USA or europe, i need a cpu to make up for gfx

G

hey guys what we need do know is can an i3 processor be able to play high end graphics games with any seperate GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.