[SOLVED] Is IOBit Software Malware?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

System32_76

Commendable
Jul 29, 2019
I did some research on the web about IOBit software and from what I've heard, it's considered malware and will mess up your system.
Is this true at all? I've used Advanced SystemCare, DriverBooster, Uninstaller, and Software Updater and have had no issues with it at all.

Solution
I see. Well, what makes IOBit's software malware? I want to know the whys of it.
Driver Booster
What does it do for you that you can't do for yourself?
Install a new version when IT thinks you need it, whether you need it or not.

Advanced SystemCare
Continuously running in the background, testing things, looking for trouble.
Often, these things report "OMG! Your system is hosed" , when in reality nothing is actually wrong.
I've seen these things bring a brand new laptop to its knees.

Software Updater
Excuse me WHAT?
That is handled by the software manufacturer. Microsoft for Windows and Office, or the individual manufacturer/publisher of other stuff.
I'll thank you to keep your fingers OUT of my current...

System32_76

Commendable
Jul 29, 2019
No it's not even close to those other programs as it doesn't install garbage that doesn't need to be on the system. Plus if your into streaming Nvidia ShadowPlay works well.
You know, when I was using these IOBit programs, how come I wasn't experiencing any issues? I've heard other people report the same thing. Was I being deceived or something?

System32_76

Commendable
Jul 29, 2019
If you have a higher end system it may not of been affected much by what those programs were doing to your system, difficult to say.
I see. Yeah, my system, being a higher end system didn't suffer at all with those programs. Hey, you know what else doesn't seem to work at all? Third-party antivirus programs (McAfee, Norton, etc). The AV built into Windows 10 works very well.

System32_76

Commendable
Jul 29, 2019
Windows Defender does work pretty good, that and Malwarebytes are my go-to for initial issues. Then if need be Bitdefender was the next one but it's been awhile since I've had to use it. Usually if I think there's something serious I end up nuking the system and starting fresh.
Yeah, they greatly improved Windows Defender over the years. I've had bad experiences with third-party AVs before; too many system slowdowns. Plus, how do you know which third-party AV to use? It's confusing.

USAFRet

Titan
Windows Defender does work pretty good, that and Malwarebytes are my go-to for initial issues. Then if need be Bitdefender was the next one but it's been awhile since I've had to use it. Usually if I think there's something serious I end up nuking the system and starting fresh.
As one of our recently departed, very prolific, members often said:
"You guys are too quick on the 'reinstall' thing"

Me? I'm with you.
In the face of a major infection? Go nuclear and start from a known clean base.

WildCard999

Titan
As one of our recently departed, very prolific, members often said:
"You guys are too quick on the 'reinstall' thing"

Me? I'm with you.
In the face of a major infection? Go nuclear and start from a known clean base.
Before SSD's I would be hesitant about the reinstall but nowadays give me 30 mins I'd have Windows reinstalled, drivers updated and will be downloading a few games.

WildCard999

Titan
Yeah, they greatly improved Windows Defender over the years. I've had bad experiences with third-party AVs before; too many system slowdowns. Plus, how do you know which third-party AV to use? It's confusing.
Research, see which one best suits my needs and has a free version but it can change throughout the years and stuff like Malwarebytes I only use to scan, once everything comes up norm it gets uninstalled.

System32_76

Commendable
Jul 29, 2019
Research, see which one best suits my needs and has a free version but it can change throughout the years and stuff like Malwarebytes I only use to scan, once everything comes up norm it gets uninstalled.
It just seems like now in this day and age, you don't really need a third-party antivirus at all.
In the 2000s, yes, but now Windows Defender on 10 seems to be sufficient enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.