[SOLVED] Is is possible for the CPU and the GPU to die at the same time?

Nov 20, 2019
First I'd like to thank for any help. The PC this is about, is a System I built in 2014 with :

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 Palit Jetstream

RAM: 2x4GB Crucial DDR3 and 1x8GB

Motherboard: Asrock H97

Memory: 256GB SSD 1TB HDD

PowerSupply: 530W Be quiet! Pure Power

Last weekend i had a crash while playing. There was no bluescreen or any error message, it was more like someone cut the power. Of course, I tried rebooting it but I got a beep code. (5xShort -> Processorerror). I tried a few things, but couldn't fix it and couldn't find out what's broken. So I brought it to a local computer shop to find out what died. Today I picked the PC up and they told me, that the CPU and the motherboard and also the graphics card are broken. Now I wonder how this is possible. Have you ever had or heard of something similar happening.?

Solution
Sorry about those pics, maybe this one is better Can I test my CPU on any board with the same socket? When yes, I will be asking some friends, whether anyone has a board with socket 1150 still so I can test it.
Yea I was afraid, the computer shop didn't do a good job, although the owner seemed rather nice.
So in that picture in the top left area, there is what appears to be a small scorch mark on one of the pads. So it's very possible the CPU really is dead. It could also just be from a CPU socket pin fusing and breaking off and you might be able to just clean the CPU. Check the motherboard CPU socket for any broken or bent pins in the bottom left side of the socket.

Edit - Second row at top left, 7th pad in.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
This is very common in poor quality and old power supply failures.
The Pure Powers were never that good, especially the L8, L7, L6 versions. Which one was it?

The PP9 and PP10 versions weren't fantastic either.
But as stated above, you'll likely want a second opinion too.

Nov 20, 2019
This is very common in poor quality and old power supply failures.
The Pure Powers were never that good, especially the L8, L7, L6 versions. Which one was it?

The PP9 and PP10 versions weren't fantastic either.
But as stated above, you'll likely want a second opinion too.

It was a model L8, sorry I forgot to mention that.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It was a model L8, sorry I forgot to mention that.
The L8 aren't fantastic by today's standards, also why they were discontinued and only came with a 2/3 year warranty.
PSUs deteriorate over time, so there is every possibility (based on the fact you said you had a random shut down) that the PSU has failed and taken out other components with it. Which is a common occurrence in lower quality PSUs.

But having said that, I would also be getting a second opinion to be sure.

Can we get a picture of the motherboards CPU socket and the back side near the CPU and VRMs? The issue might be that the motherboard and possibly the video card got a damaging power spike from the PSU. The CPU is likely fine though. An Haswell Xeon is still worth using for gaming, so I would try using it again by replacing the motherboard and get a new PSU. You would need to buy a new PSU anyway with a new build. Used parts might be your only option for a replacement motherboard. Try reusing the video card before buying a new one once you have the replacement board.

Edit - I forgot to ask, what is the reason for the 2x4GB and 1x8GB modules? You are running single channel mode with that configuration.

Nov 20, 2019
Here you go hope this works:

The shop owner told me he tested the CPU in a separate test board and it didn't boot there either.
I am definitely not trusting this PSU anymore. I will be testing the graphics card on a friend's PC.

The weird ram config is because I only had 2x4GBs first, but that wasn't enough so I got the 8GBs basically for free from a friend.

If you need more info let me know.

Here you go hope this works:

The shop owner told me he tested the CPU in a separate test board and it didn't boot there either.
I am definitely not trusting this PSU anymore. I will be testing the graphics card on a friend's PC.

The weird ram config is because I only had 2x4GBs first, but that wasn't enough so I got the 8GBs basically for free from a friend.

If you need more info let me know.
The pictures are not exactly helpful other than model number, because the heatsink mounting hardware is in the way. Don't worry about it though, the motherboard is dead anyway. Maybe you could take a picture of the bottom of the CPU so we can see if it has any scorch marks or something. Until you get a replacement board, I wouldn't write off the CPU just yet.

I've known some lazy people working at computer shops before. They can get flooded with work and just do minimum diagnostics or none at all. Basically they may lie to customers to either get them to buy something or get rid of the extra work they don't know if they can easily fix.

Nov 20, 2019
The pictures are not exactly helpful other than model number, because the heatsink mounting hardware is in the way. Don't worry about it though, the motherboard is dead anyway. Maybe you could take a picture of the bottom of the CPU so we can see if it has any scorch marks or something. Until you get a replacement board, I wouldn't write off the CPU just yet.

I've known some lazy people working at computer shops before. They can get flooded with work and just do minimum diagnostics or none at all. Basically they may lie to customers to either get them to buy something or get rid of the extra work they don't know if they can easily fix.

Sorry about those pics, maybe this one is better Can I test my CPU on any board with the same socket? When yes, I will be asking some friends, whether anyone has a board with socket 1150 still so I can test it.
Yea I was afraid, the computer shop didn't do a good job, although the owner seemed rather nice.

So in that picture in the top left area, there is what appears to be a small scorch mark on one of the pads. So it's very possible the CPU really is dead. It could also just be from a CPU socket pin fusing and breaking off and you might be able to just clean the CPU. Check the motherboard CPU socket for any broken or bent pins in the bottom left side of the socket.

Solution
Nov 20, 2019

okay now that you mentioned it I can defiinitly see that and feel dumb for not seeing it myself. The motherboard looks clean though. So yeah I am going to try the grahics card in another PC an get a new CPU MB RAM and PSU.
I guess this means solved so thanks for all your help