[SOLVED] Is it a bad time to buy a new cpu?

tjiffen

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015
Hi!

I finally thougt it was time to upgrade from my old i5 4670k so i was looking at the ryzen 5 3600 as many has recommended.

I've seen now that both intel and amd will come out with a new gen this year. Would it be stupid to go for the ryzen 3600 now? Should i try to wait until q3?

Best regards

Solution
At the moment, B450 motherboards for Ryzen might be in short supply, since B550 boards with PCIe 4.0 support and some other improvements should be launching in several weeks.

Intel will also be releasing new CPUs soon, which should be more competitive than their existing models in terms of pricing for a given thread count, placing them more on par with AMD's offerings, which might potentially result in Ryzen 3000 pricing dropping a bit more as well.

So at the very least, I would probably wait at least a month or so, unless you need a system right away.

As for Ryzen 4000 processors, an exact release window isn't known yet, but they are expected later in the year, perhaps around late summer or early fall.
May 18, 2020
If you are having issues that stop you from enjoying your PC or are unable to have it perform how you’d like then I wouldn’t wait that long to get a new Cpu. Although the 3600 will still be a great option even after the new CPUs, it isn’t going to be a night and day difference.

At the moment, B450 motherboards for Ryzen might be in short supply, since B550 boards with PCIe 4.0 support and some other improvements should be launching in several weeks.

Intel will also be releasing new CPUs soon, which should be more competitive than their existing models in terms of pricing for a given thread count, placing them more on par with AMD's offerings, which might potentially result in Ryzen 3000 pricing dropping a bit more as well.

So at the very least, I would probably wait at least a month or so, unless you need a system right away.

As for Ryzen 4000 processors, an exact release window isn't known yet, but they are expected later in the year, perhaps around late summer or early fall.

Reactions: SamirD and GarrettL
Solution

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
maybe you should wait a little more , the R5 3600 is a great choice even with the new future cpu´s the question is that is everyone a bit unsure about which motherboards will be compatible with 4th gen CPU`s , amd said that only the high end chipset of them and a new b550 chipset will be comaptible with the 4th gen , but will be he same scoket , on the real world can be different as some brands can do a bios update on b450 chipset´s for example to make it compatible with 4th gen , they did that on the 3rd gen with some low end chipsets .

Hi!

I finally thougt it was time to upgrade from my old i5 4670k so i was looking at the ryzen 5 3600 as many has recommended.

I've seen now that both intel and amd will come out with a new gen this year. Would it be stupid to go for the ryzen 3600 now? Should i try to wait until q3?

Best regards

Intel's latest offerings (10600K, 10700K, 10900K) should be possibly reviewed within a few days, but, not sure when assorted new LGA1200 products will actually actually in stock/shipping from various retailers...(as these reviews are rumored to be out in a few days, many will be tempted perhaps to at least review the results before ordering)

The R5-3600 is indeed quite a good performer now however, and, even if the 10600K and/or 10700K might potentially outframe it in gaming, the 3600 will NOT suddenly be called 'slow'....

Hi!

Best regards

The Ryzen 5 3600 is a great option, I still run the 2600 and its still one of the best cpu's on the market. However I don't recommend getting it just now because prices have shot way up due to coronavirus (I had a look at a RTX2060 and it rose up by 150£!). But if you have the money and time, I guess you can try waiting for 4th gen.