Question Is it a Bottleneck?

Jan 24, 2019
Hello,

I have recently decided to build a mid range gaming PC. i am currently running a 1st Gen i7 860 (old i know), this is paired with a GTX 1060 6GB and 16GB of ram.

I can run pretty much any game i throw at it at pretty good settings. as an example i can run gta v at max setting and it runs with about 60-70 FPS, however it areas with high amounts of items that need to be loaded in the fps drops. I know this is to be expected.

Today i tried this build with a 3rd gen i7 3770k and it ran at about 20 fps higher.
is this the case because the 860 is old and cant handle it? or is there another issue?

I just want to double check that upgrading to a newer CPU that it will be worth my money.

My Full Performance specs are listed below.

CPU- i7 860 @2.80 Ghz
GPU- GTX1060 6GB
RAM- 2x8GB
SSD- 120GB kingston
HDD- 1TB Seagate Barracuda
PSU- 420w dont remember brand

Gta v is a very cpuu hungry game so an upgrade in cpu very well would cause higher framerate. The 3770k is much faster clock speed wise and build on a smaller node. Your i7 and a 1060 are a good pairing, but in games like gtav you will be cpu limited. I have a gtx 1050 and ryzen 3. My cpu is gpu limited in every game except gta5, where mg cpu is always maxed out.

Reactions: zmoore12
Jan 24, 2019
Gta v is a very cpuu hungry game so an upgrade in cpu very well would cause higher framerate. The 3770k is much faster clock speed wise and build on a smaller node. Your i7 and a 1060 are a good pairing, but in games like gtav you will be cpu limited. I have a gtx 1050 and ryzen 3. My cpu is gpu limited in every game except gta5, where mg cpu is always maxed out.
so you think just go with the upgrade and leave it at that?
i can play rainbow six siege at ultra with about 130 average fps, just seems to be gta v.