[SOLVED] Is it a good idea to buy HDD or get more ssd?

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
I only have a 1tb sata ssd right now and im looking into upgrading. Im wondering if it would be better to go for hdd because theyre cheaper or go all out for m.2/sata ssds becuase they are faster. what do you think?

Solution
just to hold some more games, then yah 2 tb is ample room as you delete what you finish.

only the super cheap sata ssd's are priced very low and once you get into the better units the price is comparable. so either way i like the wd sn770, 970 evo plus and even the pny cs1030 or cs030 for m.2 drives. the decent sata drives cost more than m.2 drives so really are not worth it unless you are going for as cheap as possible or looking for more than 2 tb

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
I have 3 open sata ports and 2 Nvme ports.

my budget would be about 200.

im looking at maybe another 2 TB for the future.

i have two sata holders and two hdd holders in my case.

I don't know where you are, but in the USA you can easily find a 2 TB NVMe for under 200 dollars.

Even under 150.

Can you find an Intel 660p or 670p?

I'd never get an HDD if I could afford an SSD.

There's no big reason to get an NVMe. An ordinary 2.5 inch SATA drive should be fine and would be cheaper than NVMe.

Reactions: PEnns

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you need to consider future needs. what are you doing now that is taking up so much space?

will that continue or will some of that be deleted in the future? 2 tb might seem like a lot now but it fill quickly if you are trying to install the entire steam catalog at once or store every picture you ever take for eternity!!

music and video files take a ton of space and if you are trying to build a library 2 tb is quickly going to be too little.

so think about why you need more space and how that will evolve in the future. and then decide what kind and how much to get. simple storage is still a ton cheaper for a spinning disk, but other uses lend themselves to the faster ssd's and so on.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
just to hold some more games, then yah 2 tb is ample room as you delete what you finish.

only the super cheap sata ssd's are priced very low and once you get into the better units the price is comparable. so either way i like the wd sn770, 970 evo plus and even the pny cs1030 or cs030 for m.2 drives. the decent sata drives cost more than m.2 drives so really are not worth it unless you are going for as cheap as possible or looking for more than 2 tb

Solution

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Trending on downloading and storing more and more stuff, your well off with a HDD, they have massive storage space for little to no money, But I can tell you since I'm still running three of them in my own system, they are a bit on the noisy side, and then again your case needs to have space to mount them if your going that route.

Reactions: Inthrutheoutdoor

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
How much do you want to spend? What kind of performance do you want? If you're ok with the price, get SSD. As already stated, you can find several 2TB SSDs for less than $150. If you think you want more storage, you can pick up a 6TB HDD for even less money. If its primarily used for gaming, I'd opt for an SSD. Even at 4TB there are good options under $350. But again, it's all about what you're willing to spend.

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
Trending on downloading and storing more and more stuff, your well off with a HDD, they have massive storage space for little to no money, But I can tell you since I'm still running three of them in my own system, they are a bit on the noisy side, and then again your case needs to have space to mount them if your going that route.

How loud would they be with headphones, i can bear the noise as i had the loudest hard drive on my old computer and i didnt mind it, should i go for a 2-4tb hdd?

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
How loud would they be with headphones, i can bear the noise as i had the loudest hard drive on my old computer and i didnt mind it, should i go for a 2-4tb hdd?

Ah right, so by my conclusion the HDD noise is only an issue if you have everything quiet, say you go to bed and leave the gaming pc on right next to you, then you would hear the noice it makes, I for one use desktop speakers when I play games and the HDD, witch aren't even in use when gaming because I only store games's installations on there are not even in use so I can't hear my drives above my game audio, sitting at the desktop with no ambient sound then you hear them quite often, You do get used to it though, So did I.

If you got earphones on most of the time won't be an issue, remember HDD can give lots of space for little to no money, and they do copy alot slower, So if your going to be copying alot of stuff onto and of off them you might want to move towards SSD' or NVMe's rather.

The more space you have the better, because space won't be an issue again save you buy proper parts from a reputable brand, then in the future you can spend money on performance related upgrades and remain with the same storage hardware.

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
the fans on the pc are already kinda loud for todays pc standards i just want extra space and downloading games and updates will just one once. i dealt with slow speeds before so i dont really care about that.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
the fans on the pc are already kinda loud for todays pc standards i just want extra space and downloading games and updates will just one once. i dealt with slow speeds before so i dont really care about that.

Then if I was you, I'd only care for how much TB's I could buy from a reputable brand. Just make a wise choice and you'll be all set.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
is seagate barracuda a reputable brand?

Sure thing, they run beautifully, see if you can get one, I never had one fail on me or had a dead on arrival yet.

I even have an older Seagate 500Gb HDD still around that I'm trying to sell, but haven't gotten around to it yet, And you wont believe it but it still works flawlessly, I've just outgrown the size it has and upgraded my pc with higher capacities.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
The only REAL good reason to get a spinner nowadays is if you know for sure that you're gonna want/need moar than 4TB of storage space... which is currently the point at which SSD's & m.2's get really expensive...

And if you put it inside your machine, noise should not really be an issue, as most quality drives (WD, Seagate, Sammy) are virtually silent, and with headphones on you will never hear them anyways...

I suggest that you keep your 1TB SSD for your OS & main apps, and get the larger drives for your games/photo/video libraries. But just be aware that access/read/write speeds of mechanical HDD's are way slower than SSD's or m.2's, but just for storage & occasional access, that won't really matter anyways :)

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
i will be going for a WD green 1tb SSD, thank you all for your submissions.

i have decided on not using a HDD because my new PSU takes up too much space with cabling.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
With ssd prices tanking lately good deals are easy to find. I was looking for a 1 tb data sata SSD n saw them pretty much same price as nvme drives. Only needed some extra storage space so too speedy models not needed. I spent same $100 for a 2tb m.2 as I saw for sata SSD.

Even with budget brands that pretty awesome price.

TRENDING THREADS