[SOLVED] Is it a good idea to buy used components?

Dimitri001

Reputable
Oct 11, 2019
I need a new GPU and I have the option of buying a dirt cheap card (GT 710 - I don't game), or buying for roughly the same money a used GPU with integrated GPU+MB combo.

My current computer is very old (Athlon II X2 250 3 Ghz, 8 GB DDR3, don't know which MB) and I could probably get a substantial step up by buying used components, but the thing is, I don't really need a high performing computer, since I don't game. My main concern is the components lasting for many years and not failing on me like my current GPU.

So my question is, if I buy used, say something that was made in 2011, can I expect that it will fail in a few years or is the expectation that it will work indefinitely?

Solution
Depends on too many factors to give you a solid failure timeframe. I've picked up some $1 GPUs like 7750 lately, the used market is generally okay. The part could last a while or fail randomly. You also have a similar DOA factor for new parts, it's all variable.

You also may be able to upgrade that to a phenom II quad for around $15

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
Depends on too many factors to give you a solid failure timeframe. I've picked up some $1 GPUs like 7750 lately, the used market is generally okay. The part could last a while or fail randomly. You also have a similar DOA factor for new parts, it's all variable.

You also may be able to upgrade that to a phenom II quad for around $15

Solution