[SOLVED] Is it a good idea to store a 2.5" backup hard drive in a car boot?

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I wonder if it's safe to store a 1TB USB 2.5" hard drive with backups in a car boot. I'm concerned about the vibrations damaging it. I would encrypt it.

Any opinions much welcome

Solution
Properly packaged, they must endure much harsher treatment since shipped from factory. Think of all trucks, ships and airplane rides as well as cargo handlers they have to endure. HDDs can endure 90Gs+ while not running.

Endre

Reputable
I wonder if it's safe to store a 1TB USB 2.5" hard drive with backups in a car boot. I'm concerned about the vibrations damaging it. I would encrypt it.

Any opinions much welcome

Hi!
I don’t think that it’s a good idea.
HDDs have mechanical parts, and the vibrations might cause bad sectors on the drive.
I’d replace de HDD with an SSD, or store the HDD at home.

Reactions: Rodion15

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Properly packaged, they must endure much harsher treatment since shipped from factory. Think of all trucks, ships and airplane rides as well as cargo handlers they have to endure. HDDs can endure 90Gs+ while not running.
I'll just test it, and since I have two other backups, I should be fine. I'll cushion-wrap it properly and do a quick test when I swap the backup drive with the one at home. Better this than paying for online backup.
Thank you.

Jun 1, 2021
I would be worried about the temp cycles. Cars can get as hot as 180F 85C and then drop 100 F or 50C every single day.

Encrypted is a must if you have sensitive bank or tax info on there. I prefer to trust Google drive for stuff like that. A bank safety deposit box is better. If the fees are too high I would bury it underground in a water tight container. I am guessing you are worried about a house fire?

TRENDING THREADS