Is it a good idea?

hillyjgaming

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018
i have a msi eco h110m motherboard paired with a intel pentium g4600 and i was wanting to upgrade that to a i7 6700k, i Also have 450 w PS and a gtx 1050 2gb in there.

should i do that upgrade?

Solution
No, you don't "have" to do that. Will SOME games perform better with 16GB? Absolutely.

Is it "mandatory"? Not really. There are always ways to get by with what you have, even if it means moving some sliders or choosing presets that are not overly taxing for the configuration that you have. Not every person needs to play every game at max settings in order to have a good gaming experience.

There are also many other factors involved such as the number of background programs you typically have running, how clean the OS installation is and whether you have fast storage or old slow mechanic spinning drives. These things can all play a role, but any configuration can be tailored to work. Some will clearly be better than others, and there...
Not much point in upgrading to an unlocked CPU unless you can get a killer price on a used one. You can likely find an i7-7700 or i7-6700 for a smaller investment and since you can't overclock using the multiplier on that board, and even if you could the board wouldn't be worth trying to overclock ON since it wasn't intended for overclocking, it doesn't make a lot of sense unless you simply want one for the small base clock increase the K skus have over the locked models.

All of the Core-i 6xxx series and 7xxx series CPUs are supported on that board though, so long as you have the latest bios installed. So you can, but no, it's probably not the best idea. It might make some sense though to go with a locked i7 Skylake or Kaby lake model though if you can get one for a good price.

What is the model and brand of your power supply?

hillyjgaming

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018

corsair vs 450

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
MERGED QUESTION
Question from hillyjgaming : "intel pentium to i7"

Sure its a big bump up but will work. That said if you can get an i7-6700 its a little cheaper, and close in performance. Since you can't overclock on that board no use in getting a "k" processor.

If you are gonna be using the gtx 1050 with the 6700/7700, then it's OK.

If you are gonna get a 150w gpu sooner or later, u need a good quality psu along with the gpu.

For 1080p 60hz gaming, sure the 6700/7700 would handle it just fine. But the issue is ram. How much do you have now?

If it's 2x4gb and the mobo only has 2 slots, u have to to sell ur ram and get 2x8GB for AAA games.

No, you don't "have" to do that. Will SOME games perform better with 16GB? Absolutely.

Is it "mandatory"? Not really. There are always ways to get by with what you have, even if it means moving some sliders or choosing presets that are not overly taxing for the configuration that you have. Not every person needs to play every game at max settings in order to have a good gaming experience.

There are also many other factors involved such as the number of background programs you typically have running, how clean the OS installation is and whether you have fast storage or old slow mechanic spinning drives. These things can all play a role, but any configuration can be tailored to work. Some will clearly be better than others, and there often IS a need to upgrade at some point. But to say you have to do something is kind of misleading.

Plenty of people gaming away happily with mid tiered cards and only 8GB of memory.

Solution
^ true. But nowadays, online gaming with discord, steam. Maybe some game capturing with Nvidia shadow play or even just the gaming peripheral apps are commonly in use during those gaming sessions.

If the op gets a 1060/rx580, he can play at maxed out settings for 1080p 60hz.

So yes, 8gb will be fine in most cases, but 16gigs is better.

Exactly. This is, IMO, what you should have said the first time. Too many people will take what somebody on a forum says, especially if they have a marker next to their name saying they are an expert, to heart or straight to the head and without a grain of salt. Even Tequila likes a little salt and lime with itself. :)