Question Is it a good time to buy?

Jul 11, 2022
So I've decided it's time to start a new build from scratch. My old computer is on her last lap, IMO. And while I have some idea of what I want for this new build, I'm curious as to whether this is a good time to start buying in the first place? From what I've heard, the next generation could change enough to make upgrading difficult to impossible, what with some of the changes both AMD and Intel are making. Plus, DDR5 is still pretty expensive.
Is it worth it to wait to see what's coming out? I'm always worried that I'll just constantly be putting it off if I'm always looking ahead, but these seem like they could be some big changes. Plus, I'm not sure if I'd be able to afford top of the line as is. I'm not budget building, but I'm not going for anything like a 5k machine either.
Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 362816

It's almost a good time to cheaply build. I always enough how people say wait 1-2 months for the new 4xxx Nvidia and 7xxx Amd cards. That being said if you can afford the newest and greatest I would wait for that. If not I would try to pickup some cheaper 3xxx or 6xxx cards when the new ones come out. That being said what is your old setup so we can all get an idea of what a great upgrade would be. Was resolution do you plan to play games at.

From what I've heard, the next generation could change enough to make upgrading difficult to impossible,,,,,,,,,,.............................Plus, DDR5 is still pretty expensive.

What exactly do you mean by "make upgrading difficult to impossible"?

Yes, DDR 5 is more expensive than DDR 4.......but the gap is narrowing. As of 3 or 4 days ago, the price for a 2 x 8 kit of DDR 5 was under 90 dollars for both Crucial and Kingston direct from their web sites.

I'm supposedly waiting for 13th generation Raptor Lake....but of course at one time I was waiting for 12th generation Alder Lake. The fact is that my current hardware is plenty good enough for what I do, so if I were sensible I would not update until forced into it by a motherboard failure. I admit to not being sensible at times.

Reactions: Why_Me
D

Deleted member 362816

Yes, DDR 5 is more expensive than DDR 4.......but the gap is narrowing. As of 3 or 4 days ago, the price for a 2 x 8 kit of DDR 5 was under 90 dollars for both Crucial and Kingston direct from their web sites.

I'm supposedly waiting for 13th generation Raptor Lake....but of course at one time I was waiting for 12th generation Alder Lake. The fact is that my current hardware is plenty good enough for what I do, so if I were sensible I would not update until forced into it by a motherboard failure. I admit to not being sensible at times.

All good points, I am just a cheap ass I just built a 11th gen system a few months ago, That being said what I paid for what I got being a cheap shyster I can't complain at all o_O

So I've decided it's time to start a new build from scratch. My old computer is on her last lap, IMO. And while I have some idea of what I want for this new build, I'm curious as to whether this is a good time to start buying in the first place? From what I've heard, the next generation could change enough to make upgrading difficult to impossible, what with some of the changes both AMD and Intel are making. Plus, DDR5 is still pretty expensive.
Is it worth it to wait to see what's coming out? I'm always worried that I'll just constantly be putting it off if I'm always looking ahead, but these seem like they could be some big changes. Plus, I'm not sure if I'd be able to afford top of the line as is. I'm not budget building, but I'm not going for anything like a 5k machine either.
Thoughts?
What country are you located, what is your budget, what will you be using your PC for and what is your monitor resolution or is that to be included in your budget?

Jul 11, 2022

I had heard that AMD is switching up some stuff when switching from am4 to am5 and that you can't just upgrade from one to the other without basically buying a new motherboard as well. Same with Intel and the new Raptor Lake stuff. Thus making it difficult to upgrade unless you're replacing both.

It's almost a good time to cheaply build. I always enough how people say wait 1-2 months for the new 4xxx Nvidia and 7xxx Amd cards. That being said if you can afford the newest and greatest I would wait for that. If not I would try to pickup some cheaper 3xxx or 6xxx cards when the new ones come out. That being said what is your old setup so we can all get an idea of what a great upgrade would be. Was resolution do you plan to play games at.

My current setup is nothing to really talk about. Intel i5-3570 at 3.4GHz, NVidia GTX 1660ti, 16g of ram, MSI Z77A-G41 motherboard. Thus why I'm not looking to upgrade, but scrap it and build from scratch. I'm not looking for specific build advice until I start building in the first place. I was more concerned that the next generation might lock me out of upgrading my next set up.

I had heard that AMD is switching up some stuff when switching from am4 to am5 and that you can't just upgrade from one to the other without basically buying a new motherboard as well. Same with Intel and the new Raptor Lake stuff. Thus making it difficult to upgrade unless you're replacing both.

My current setup is nothing to really talk about. Intel i5-3570 at 3.4GHz, NVidia GTX 1660ti, 16g of ram, MSI Z77A-G41 motherboard. Thus why I'm not looking to upgrade, but scrap it and build from scratch. I'm not looking for specific build advice until I start building in the first place. I was more concerned that the next generation might lock me out of upgrading my next set up.
Ryzen 4 will be strictly DDR5. Raptor lake on the other hand will support both DDR4 and DDR5 not to mention Intel Alder Lake boards will support Raptor Lake cpu's.

I have no idea about AMD, but I did see this about Intel a couple of days ago:

ASUS Announces 600 Series Motherboards to Support the Next Gen Intel Processors

"ASUS today announced BIOS support and updates readying a range of motherboards for a new wave of Intel CPUs. ASUS provides convenient tools to update the BIOS — BIOS Flashback and EZ Flashi . The design of BIOS Flashback allows users to update the BIOS without entering the BIOS screen, and the ASUS EZ Flash 3 program allows them to easily update the BIOS version without entering the Windows operating system. ASUS 600-series motherboards will receive support for these new CPUs according to the chart below."

Ryzen 4 will be strictly DDR5. Raptor lake on the other hand will support both DDR4 and DDR5 not to mention Intel Alder Lake boards will support Raptor Lake cpu's.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/asrock-raptor-lake-support-for-600-series

https://www.techspot.com/news/95135-asrock-bios-update-adds-raptor-lake-support-600.html

TRENDING THREADS