is it a good year (2016) to upgrade to HDR/DV TVs?

Stealth3si

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
I am happy with my current TV. I do want to upgrade to 4k HDR/DV TV because even 1080p upscaled to 4k looks noticeably better than on 1080p sets using the same content but I am not sure if it is a good year to upgrade or wait until content becomes dominated by 4k HDR or DV.

Solution
I'd wait until next year or the year after to make an investment as big as a TV, as by then OLED HDR displays will be more prominent, and they are absolutely stunning.
Definitely worth the wait imo, still working with a 50" 1080p Pioneer TV and a 55" 4k I got cheap.

BadBoyGreek

Distinguished
What size of TV are you looking at exactly? You can get some really nice 55 inch 4K models from LG, Sharp and Vizio for around $700. If you want anything bigger, or higher end Sharp and Samsung, it all depends on the size and budget to determine if the cost / size ratio makes it worthwhile now or to wait.

Depending on your financial situation and needs, my recommendation if you really want to go 4K is get something more budget friendly now like a Vizio, which makes excellent TVs for the money, and save to get something better a couple of years down the line.

How does 1080p upscaled to 4k look better than 1080p? That's not true, because what upscaling means is taking the 1080p signal and making it fit on all the pixels on a 4k display, meaning you actually lose quality, not gain. Native is always the best way to go. NVIDIA and AMD both have their own virtual resolutions that would noticeably improve the quality in games, DSR and VSR respectively.

All the best!

I'd wait until next year or the year after to make an investment as big as a TV, as by then OLED HDR displays will be more prominent, and they are absolutely stunning.
Definitely worth the wait imo, still working with a 50" 1080p Pioneer TV and a 55" 4k I got cheap.

Solution
Likewise, the new VA TV's are nearly on par with OLED, blind testing is going to be very interesting, considering last year people wasn't able to tell the difference. OLED's in stores are on and bright in stores, VA LCD's are not even on, while the IPS ones are on. Experience the same thing where you live in local stores?

It's actually funny because the amount of shady marketing is just mind blowing once you start digging. The most notable that was international was LG's OLED vs LCD comparison, only that they put the OLED against an IPS to demonstrate the contrast. Still laughing to this day.

I feel sorry for the consumers that are being brain washed. However, now personally I don't see OLED be relevant anytime soon, the lifespan is still pretty bad.

Stealth3si

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
50" or 55"

If the TV has good upscaler, it will not lose quality. but it will not look better either, unless the 1080p has HDR/DV encoded, which is rare.

I think I will wait for 4k HDR/DV content to dominate mainstream. Tbh I do not see enough streaming content out there to justify a 4k HDR tv. For now, I might upgrade to a Samsung UN55J6200 (1080p) or Sony XBR-55X810C (4k non-HDR). I will see. They both are relatively cheap (or should be if they go on sale at end of year) and I do not really care much for the 4k aspect or lack of HDR, not until enough HDR/DV content is commonly available and by that time 4k HDR TV sets should be easily affordable.

I have a question about them. On the RTings.com site, a support feature mentioned for both TVs is "Judder-free 24p via 60p" thru movies from 60 hz PC signal. What does this look like? Does this make smooth movements if I am watching movies on PC or something?

And what is the visual difference between that and motion interpolation (soap opera effect)? Does judder-free help make motion interpolation look better or what??