[SOLVED] Is it a problem if the memory has a higher frequency that the motherboard is rated at?

Feb 23, 2020
So i have this mb that is rated for DDR4 2400/2133 MHz memory modules on the manufacturers site.

I am buying a 2666Mhz memory

Will that cause problems? Will it even boot?

Feb 23, 2020
It should be able to downclock itself to a compatible speed.
It's more likely to have issues when mixing different sticks/kits.
I know that it's bad mixing different speeds and amount, but got quite scared cuz i went on the mb manufacturers site (I have a prebuilt system) to check witch type does the mb use and saw the memory clock rating and went too google it and found a guy from quora that said it's possible it wont boot so here i am asking question.

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
I know that it's bad mixing different speeds and amount, but got quite scared cuz i went on the mb manufacturers site (I have a prebuilt system) to check witch type does the mb use and saw the memory clock rating and went too google it and found a guy from quora that said it's possible it wont boot so here i am asking question.
It's more likely to have issues on an OEM mothebiard than a retail one, since it may be refusing third party memory. Don't worry, though. If it's stated the memory can run at lower speeds, there should be no problems.
You can use Crucial's or Kingston's memory finder to see what they recommend for your system. Any way, I'm confident there'll be no issues.

Feb 23, 2020
It's more likely to have issues on an OEM mothebiard than a retail one, since it may be refusing third party memory. Don't worry, though. If it's stated the memory can run at lower speeds, there should be no problems.
You can use Crucial's or Kingston's memory finder to see what they recommend for your system. Any way, I'm confident there'll be no issues.
Sure ill use kingstons memory finder it's not like im looking to get

Kingston HyperX Fury HX426C16FB3/16

Which i still don't know if it's the longer name for hyperx fury black

Edit: i think it is the black one since that is what is stated after putting it in kingstons website

No problem.

All DDR4 ram has a default 2133 speed at which it will boot.
That allows you to change ram settings to something higher if both your motherboard and ram are capable.
The supported speed you see on a motherboard, like 2133/2400 is the speed at which it will boot.
If you install 2666 ram, you will need to enter the bios and set the speed to 2666, normally via a XMP setting that is part of the ram.

If it's an Intel CPU, 2666Mhz will only work on the motherboard if the CPU supports it and nothing higher will work unless it's a Z series motherboard. If it only supports 2133 or 2400Mhz, don't buy faster than 2400Mhz to ensure you don't get stuck at 2133 if the 2666Mhz kit does not have or advertise XMP for 2400Mhz. AMD Ryzen CPUs and motherboard do not have this lower speed limitation and most should support 2666-2933MT/s.

CPU clock speeds are quite different from ram speeds.
Ram speed support is determined mainly by the motherboard, and sometimes the cpu.
Look at the motherboard ram QVL list.
That will tell you what ram kits have been tested and found to work.
The QVL list may not get updated after initial release.
Other supported ram options can be found on a ram vendor's ram support app.
Enter the make/model of your motherboard and you will get a list of supported kits.
Note that I said kits.
Do not buy multiple single sticks which may not work together. Ram must be matched.