Is it a PSU issue or rather a HDD issue?

Mar 28, 2018
I just build my PC a couple of months ago, but these I've been having some weird stuttering on games that didn't happen before and some explorer and system crashes when downloading from MiPony and uTorrent. I'm wondering if it's an issue caused by my new WD Blue 4TB HDD (64MB Cache) or rather my PSU, a Seasonic FOCUS GOLD 550w Semi-Modular (NOT PLUS VERSION), wich could explain why a couple of weeks ago my GPU, an ASUS DUAL GTX 1060 6Gb OC, died with no particular reason and had to go to the store to validate my guarantee 'cause there was no reason for it to die (no hits nor overheating use).

I set my default downloads folder on my new WD Blue 4TB HDD (64MB Cache) and everything that I've already downloaded before like movies play just fine, small archives use to download and work but today I tried to download a couple of files that were just 100MB each one, but downloads didn't even finished. I've been using MiPony and uTorrent for about 4 years now and never had this kind of issue. I always update drivers if I have the time, so I don't think that's an issue, I desinstalled and installed each one but it didn't solve a thing.

Dark Souls III is a game with a doubtable optimization, but on 768p on a GTX 1060 there is no chance for it to have stutters, at least not the kind that I got this morning when testing my system again.

When I opened my case to see if there was something wrong , I felt electricity flowing through my HDD's, I know it's normal for it to get some heating, but I'm not so sure if that electricity flow is just as normal.

My complete build is:

CPU: Intel Core i5-8400
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master HyperX 212X
MB: ASUS PRIME Z370-A
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (3000Mhz CL15)
GPU: ASUS DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SATA III
HDD: WD BLUE 160GB 3.5" (Don't know how much Cache) and WD BLUE 4TB 3.5'' (64MB Cache)
Case: Corsair Carbide 400C
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS Gold 550W Semi-Modular (NOT THE PLUS VERSION)

Sometimes my systems not running right, even when I turn it down, my PC is still running, even though system's off.

I was wondering if all this troubles are caused by my PSU, I know is weird for a Seasonic power supply to have stability issues, but counting my luck when buying all of the pieces, where I had to return two of them for factory defects, then it wouldn't be that crazy.

So what do you think, is it my HDD for having performance issues that my system crashes when using programs that have related folders or is it my PSU for stability issues that cause my components to fail?

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
I know what your talking about as i've had it happen, if you can recall the Utorrent "file" you downloaded at the time it started it could have been corrupt. Before you delete any files try rolloing back you Nvidia drivers to 411.70 or if you on 411.70 (which i had problems with) then update the Nvidia drivers to 416.34 via GE Force Experience.