Question Is it a software issue or hardware issue?

daren901

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
Hi, my system is:
ASRock Z270 Killer/sli
I7 7700K 4.2GHz
Cryorig H5 Universal
64GB DDR4 3200oc
RX590 8GB +Nitro
EVGA 850 G2
Intel 660p NVME M.2 512GB
Case fans (Thermaltake Riing RGB Plus x3)
Case: Kolink Punisher
Hello, I've been trying to work this one out for over a week now with no luck. The web has proven to be a good source of information, but it brings me back to where I started time again. I installed the software supposed to run the led rgb on the case fans, and it comes up with the same error that so many are getting when they try to run the program. The error code I keep getting is "Could not find fan controller please check fan controller is connected" Error code H_0x0001. I've been into the bios to see If I could enable the USB 2.0 9pin header that the controller connects to. Consequently, the header is enabled and showing as empty when connected to the controller. I've tried accessing different versions of software that'll run the rgb on the fans, but most of the links are dead up to v.1.28 and the thing is, there's power going to the fans, I mean they're operational when I boot and run through the controller but no rgb, and the system isn't recognising them. I have tried different pin configurations on the USB headers, with no luck. I thought that uninstalling C++ redistributable 2017 was the answer. And again once I had, there was still the same error code showing. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance.

daren901

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
Yes sir, I have this manual printed out as well as the floe riing RGB plus software instructions. For the life of me, I've not been able to determine a solid diagnostic on whether the software is to blame or the hardware. Although, it's clear the controller box is able to provide power to the fans, each 9 pin usb header, when connected on the mobo, is not recognised by the software.

daren901

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
Yes sir, I have this manual printed out as well as the floe riing RGB plus software instructions. For the life of me, I've not been able to determine a solid diagnostic on whether the software is to blame or the hardware. Although, it's clear the controller box is able to provide power to the fans, each 9 pin usb header, when connected on the mobo, is not recognised by the software.
May I add that there are several programs available for the RGB controls for these particular fans. Razer synapse 3 beta being one, and Alexa being another. I mean trying to provide compatibility to other platforms would incur serious flaws, would it not?

daren901

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
I should also add, when Razer synapse 3 beta has been installed, there was no problem enabling thermaltake's fans on its connection, and likewise with thermaltake enabling Razer's connection. However, there was still the error message blocking access to the fan's control panel.

daren901

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
https://www.dropbox.com/s/63o34l391wu2kh9/IMG_20190624_121758.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9nlfzhlewndr19/IMG_20190624_121554.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gb2upj6tzeot4ru/IMG_20190624_121020.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/190rcp2tr5f9v61/Screenshot 2019-06-23 22.25.05.png?dl=0

I hope you could access these photos? Pic 1&2 show controller connected with power, fan controller via USB 2.0 and 3 fans.
Pic 3 shows mobo USB 9 pin header as connected.
Pic 4 shows the error message.

Last edited:

daren901

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
Listen, thanks for taking the time to look into this for my benefit man, it's gratefully received. It seems that the software designed to control the fans, which I've installed then uninstalled so many times this week in an attempt to get them working (as they should) is dangerous to my system. I mean I found an install in roaming.
I've now lost F:/ as a result of all the testing that what was necessary to running the software, lol.

daren901

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
Hi, I'm not sure about protocol, I don't know if I should open a new question, but I may have a closure to this ridiculous thread. I exhausted the options concerning the Thermaltake RGB Riing Premium Plus case fans. I accepted the software wasn't going to work, and therefore decided to buy some cheap and nasty RGB case fans, which worked but only for a day and a half before they started to fail. Knowing they were cheap and nasty I didn't care much that they had failed. This encouraged me to go ahead and buy (before checking the compatibility) 3x2 and 2x2 sets of NZXT AER RBG +HUE case fans. Thus at this stage I'd paid over £260 on case fans. To cut a long story short the software refused to access the case fans. And consequently, I'm resigned to using them as non RGB case fans, for that reason. I conclude my mobo isn't compatible to either the Thermaltake and the NZXT RGB features, accessed from the usb.2 9pinheaders. I think this is the closure to my RGB mystery, sad and expensive I know but it kept me busy, lol.

TRENDING THREADS