Question Is it actually possible to turn on your pc in like 10 seconds?

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
I have a sata 2 ssd and my pc boots in 35-40 seconds. My friend has sata 3 hdd and his boots in a minute. I have watched some videos since in new pc i will het nvme m.2 and i saw that with sata 3 ssd it should boot in 10-12 seconds?? On my old hdd that is a lot older it was booting for 5-6 minutes sata 2 also. So is it actually true? Since that is a lot faster

Colif

Win 11 Master
Nvme can boot windows in about 20 seconds, yes. That is to logon screen, I don't trust auto logon to not break, its done it to me before.

Not sure about boot speed of ssd but it might be similar.
I only got about 40 seconds on my old PC. I haven't tested an ssd on this PC

SSD/ nvme have no moving parts and run way faster than a hdd, so yes, boot times are shorter.

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
Nvme can boot windows in about 20 seconds, yes.

Not sure about boot speed of ssd but it might be similar.
I only got about 40 seconds on my old PC. I haven't tested an ssd on this PC
Every youtube video i have seen had sata 3 SSD boot in like 10-12 seconds and you are saying your nvme is booting in 20? So what is it about these videos

Every youtube video i have seen had sata 3 SSD boot in like 10-12 seconds and you are saying your nvme is booting in 20? So what is it about these videos

For SATA 3 SSD's it can take as little as 10-15 seconds to bootup during the first month or so of a fresh windows installation, but after a while it will inevitably slow down given the user has installed a lot of third-party apps (games and the likes) and constant feature/security updates that require more loading time on startup. Though it won't add that much time, like 2-5+ more seconds or so. An NVMe will be just a little faster, but nothing record breaking. So, as I said before; after a while of installing more and more apps and updates it will slow down.
Those videos you saw are probably people using a fresh install on a test machine to show you a controlled situation without any unwanted variables from third-party apps.

Last edited:
Reactions: PEnns

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
For SATA 3 SSD's it can take as little as 10-15 seconds to bootup during the first month or so of a fresh windows installation, but after a while it will inevitably slow down given the user has installed a lot of third-party apps (games and the likes) and constant feature/security updates that require more loading time on startup. Though it won't add that much time, like 5+ more seconds or so. An NVMe will be just a little faster, that 12 second mark you keep talking about, but again. After a while of installing more and more apps and updates it will slow down.
Those videos you saw are probably people using a fresh install on a test machine to show you a controlled situation without any unwanted variables from third-party apps.
So the more files there are on a drive the slower it is right?

Colif

Win 11 Master
it could be I can't tell how long it takes. I haven't as such timed it but its pretty much shows logon screen right after the BIOS flash screen. It takes 12 seconds for BIOS to hand control over to windows, so nvme is the difference in time.

SSD prefer 10% free to keep speed up. Sata 2 compared to PCIE 3 isn't fair either

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
it could be I can't tell how long it takes. I haven't as such timed it but its pretty much shows logon screen right after the BIOS flash screen. It takes 12 seconds for BIOS to hand control over to windows, so nvme is the difference in time.

SSD prefer 10% free to keep speed up. Sata 2 compared to PCIE 3 isn't fair either
Also i have read that using pcie slots for ssds disables ability to use sata ssds and hard drives, is that true?

So the more files there are on a drive the slower it is right?

Not quite, the more apps INSTALLED will make it take longer, not essentially the more files you have (word documents, videos, etc). Since booting up requires the SSD to only read the files relating to windows and any apps/services that are set to start on windows startup (Discord, skype, one drive, etc), windows will require more time to load since you have more apps to load on startup rather than just windows alone. Just having more files, say a cluttered desktop of word documents, wouldn't essentially slow down your boot time. It's the apps.

Let's not forget about Sleep option. If you sleep the system instead shutting down you can boot up to login screen in less then 10 seconds even on HDD. Of course if you do that all time you may need to reboot the system from time to time to clean up some memory leaks but it is otherwise reliable way of having PC up fast.

Colif

Win 11 Master
then it depends what you define as turning on pc, is it on desktop or logon screen.

startup apps shouldn't affect startup speed until you logon... although with fast startup on, they might. Behaving apps should wait until you at least logged in. I just don't think they all do.

If he on ssd he doesn't need = https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

could do a clean boot and see if it does help at all
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

it doesn't remove anything, it just stops non microsoft programs running at startup. Easy to reverse.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame. Or just leave them stopped, you don't need everything starting with windows. Really depends on how much ram you have too.

USAFRet

Titan
Reactions: CompuGuy71
I have a sata 2 ssd and my pc boots in 35-40 seconds. My friend has sata 3 hdd and his boots in a minute. I have watched some videos since in new pc i will het nvme m.2 and i saw that with sata 3 ssd it should boot in 10-12 seconds?? On my old hdd that is a lot older it was booting for 5-6 minutes sata 2 also. So is it actually true? Since that is a lot faster
Just what I see.

Power on to the desktop is 10 secs or less.
This is mostly a matter of making the startup group skinny.

Another factor, though not considered as much, is how performant the rest of the system is. If you have a slower CPU, boot times will be longer because the computer still has to initialize everything, which takes CPU time. RAM could be a factor, both in terms of capacity and performance.

There is also hybrid boot introduced in windows 8 it boots from the hybernation file so it doesn't really need to boot it just loads the hybernation into ram and makes it run again.
Even if you shut off the system from power the hybernation files stays there and booting into log screen is super fast even on a simple sata2 ssd. And then going into windows depends on how much crap you have on the system.

Yes PC's can boot in that time but it depends on a number of factors, I haven't thought to time mine personally though.

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
I have a cheap WD Green M.2 installed on this computer, and the boot timer reported by Task Manager is 11.2 seconds. Not that young of an installation too. You'll see changes everytime you move up in the hierarchy unless something bottlenecks, but it will be a bit less compared to one before. For me it was 62 seconds on a 7200 RPM HDD, then 23 seconds on a SATA 3 SSD, and 11.2 seconds on the M.2. There is a few notes of caution for this and also some ways to speed up without investing in a new part though.

1)Check with your motherboard manual. Motherboards a) sometimes don't support M.2, b) sometimes support up a to a certain size, c) support it but disable something important (like SATA ports) at the cost of it. Also make sure the keying is correct and you still have the M.2 standoffs (or just order one with it)

2)Try diagnosing the PC first to see how far you can go with the current setup. Simplest is to disable unnecessary startup tasks from Task Manager (You don't really need Spotify to start up first, do you?), and more expert is to log a boot using Process Monitor and see what takes the longest time in a boot. You can also set up the pagefile (make sure it's bigger than the RAM) and sleep the computer instead of turning off, which will make it boot WAY faster when you press the button. It consumes a little power in that state though.