Reun

Reputable
Dec 26, 2019
Hi,
I'm looking to change my Asus Pg279Q (2560x1440,165Hz, 4ms) , to a ultra wide.
I will mostly use it for open world games so I mostly need image quality.
Looking at product details I think MSI MPG341CQR or Alienware AW3418DW are the best in my prize range.
I looked at reviews which all said that what they say in the details is mostly over exaggerated. I couldn't find any direct comparisons, so I'm asking someone who either has used both before, or has a better understanding in it than me, which one should I get. And that is it even worth it to change my display now?
Another option would be the LG 34GK950f-B but all I know of this display is what they promise.
Or should I forget these displays and choose something else?

Last edited:
Solution
I have the MSI mag321cqr, and it's honestly pretty good. The only bad thing about ultra wide (or 32" and above screens in general) is that since most content isn't designed for this large format and the fact it's pretty close to your face, you will notice the low-res and color banding here and there. Though for the most part it's fantastic.

The real-estate of wide monitors are fantastic. Once you go past 32" you will feel so constrained going back. My monitor is also a VA so the colors aren't as good as an IPS but the difference is almost unnoticeable to me. For games the wide screen and 1800r curved ratio really helps with peripheral reflexes. It's honestly a whole other level of gaming you didn't know existed. It's so different you...
I have the MSI mag321cqr, and it's honestly pretty good. The only bad thing about ultra wide (or 32" and above screens in general) is that since most content isn't designed for this large format and the fact it's pretty close to your face, you will notice the low-res and color banding here and there. Though for the most part it's fantastic.

The real-estate of wide monitors are fantastic. Once you go past 32" you will feel so constrained going back. My monitor is also a VA so the colors aren't as good as an IPS but the difference is almost unnoticeable to me. For games the wide screen and 1800r curved ratio really helps with peripheral reflexes. It's honestly a whole other level of gaming you didn't know existed. It's so different you will feel a bit dizzy at first but you get used to it quickly.

Just make sure if you do go that route that the monitor has:
1ms response times
VA or IPS
144Hz or higher
low input response times

As for your other monitor, it should do nicely as a secondary, and you honestly don't need to get a new monitor to begin with, but if you can then why not?! 2 monitors is also fantastic. P.S when using dual monitors, make sure you have both panels that are 144Hz and on Display port. Or else you will see stuttering on your main screen when playing videos on a lower refresh rate screen. You should be fine with that 27" 144Hz though.

Solution