Is it bad for a GPU to sit diagonally?

Doomjoon

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
It seems to work, but can I expect any problems in the future? I know that it looks like it's being pushed down by the sound card's op amp, but it was like that even before I installed it. It seems to be perfectly straight on the PCI slot, it's just the actual card that seems to be going in it's own direction. Is this normal?

20160615_154419.jpg

Doomjoon

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
As I said, it does that even if that sound card is not there. And if I were to move the soundcard to the 1x above the SSD, it would turn the SSD's 4x into a 2x. I really don't know why it does that. I mean, it's quite obviously because of the weight, as it's a 980 Ti Strix, but still, I've never seen it do that on anyone else's configuration.

Edit: I'm gonna try putting my HDD so that it's cage will act as a sort of a support for the card. It won't do much to the actual position of the card, but it will stop the gravity from bending it any further.

Edit 2: Nevermind, that won't work.

Edit 3: Managed to make it straight by tying the cables to the HDD rack with zip ties. Everything seems good now. The sound card is now slightly bent but judging from other people's experiences it can take it as it doesn't have any heat problems where it could cause it to bend even further, or have the bending dislodge the cooling, since it obviously doesn't have any cooler.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Most GPUs will have a little sag, but that is an extreme amount.

From what I can see there are two problems. The motherboard is not square in its mounting which needs to be fixed.

Lay the computer on its side (CPU facing up). Loosen the motherboard mounting screws and the GPUs mounting screws.

Line them so they are as square as possible. The GPU should not have any stress on it at this time. You'll want to see the standoffs threads perfectly centered in the motherboards mounting holes. This will mean constant pressure against the I/O shields springy bits or foam as you screw them down. Start with the screws close to the I/O shield and work your way out to the edges. Once secure, double check the GPU, and screw that down.

Return the system to an upright position and you should see at least half the sag removed.