Question Is it Bad for My DRAM Q-LED to Linger More Than Usual on Startup

May 1, 2023
I have an Asus ROG Strix B550-F, Corsair Vengeance RGB 4x8 DDR4-3600mhz ram, and a 5800x CPU if the latter matters in any way. today, and I believe once before in the past, my DRAM led has lingered longer than it usually does on startup

I tend to look inside my pc when I turn it on to watch the LEDs because my VGA light has a habit of staying on, prolonging the startup, and then remaining on even after the display has come on and I'm in Windows. although my DRAM light did turn off and continue the startup smoothly, it stayed on longer than I'm used to seeing it. this is how my startup process goes;

turn the pc on, the DRAM led comes on first and then switches off within a second, the CPU light comes on, lingers a bit until the ram lights turn on, then the VGA light comes on, lingers for a little bit, and then the Boot light comes on, which stays on until I get to my lock screen

today, the DRAM led stayed on up until a second or two after the ram lights turned on, before continuing. I did restart the computer to see if this behavior happened again, but the startup looked normal like always. if I exit Bios, the DRAM lingers as well, but I think that's just because of Bios, because I tested it twice and both times, each LED did the same thing.

anyway, I'm looking at CPU-Z and HWInfo, nothing seems any different with my Memory Timings at the least, but should this be something to be concerned about or keep an eye on, like for some kind of ram failure or something? or did the motherboard just seem to bug out with the DRAM led. I'm not on the latest bios, but the one before it (2806 i believe)

Lutfij

Titan
I'd leave it as is. No, it doesn't do any damage to your platform, it's just that the platform is undergoing checks with your hardware. If I were on that platform, I'd update the BIOS to the latest version then clear the CMOS and then reenable XMP in BIOS after starting up the system post clear CMOS.

May 1, 2023
I'd leave it as is. No, it doesn't do any damage to your platform, it's just that the platform is undergoing checks with your hardware. If I were on that platform, I'd update the BIOS to the latest version then clear the CMOS and then reenable XMP in BIOS after starting up the system post clear CMOS.
well I was concerned that since the DRAM led was lingering, that meant it was being 'checked' for longer, and could mean there was a potential problem brewing. but I assume you don't think so?

I usually don't update my Bios unless I absolutely have to, and since I'm on the 2nd latest Bios, I haven't really bothered as of yet. is there a reason you recommend clearing CMOS after update, or is that just a general procedure when updating Bios?

Lutfij

Titan
BIOS can get corrupted, it's something people to stop to think about. I'd try with a clear CMOS in it's current state, see if that helps.

Yes I advise clearing the CMOS to wipe the settings off of the BIOS, in case there are any residual values left behind from the prior BIOS version.

May 1, 2023
BIOS can get corrupted, it's something people to stop to think about. I'd try with a clear CMOS in it's current state, see if that helps.

Yes I advise clearing the CMOS to wipe the settings off of the BIOS, in case there are any residual values left behind from the prior BIOS version.
I see, I see. well like I said, I don't seem to have any issues currently, the computer still posts and turns on without much delay; I did just restart my pc and go into Bios twice to check what the lights do

when I turned the pc back on after shutting it down, the DRAM led came on and off within 1 second like it usually does. when I exited the Bios both times, it comes on for a little longer before continuing the startup, which seems to just have something to do with coming out of the Bios and restarting the pc from there

I was concerned this morning because when it initially lingered, I wasn't coming out of the Bios, I was just turning on the pc. although the LED has shown its normal behavior both times I've turned the PC on (without entering the Bios) afterwards to test it

Lutfij

Titan
I don't seem to have any issues currently
As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just be prepared in the event that you might need to update the BIOS. I haven't seen 5800x's IMC's failing but there were instances of 3600x's and 5600x's IMC's failing.