is it bad if i provide my laptop that takes 20v only 12v?

Solution
those power banks are not dc they are ac and yes you will be bottle necking because the power bank is only 12v when your laptop requires 20v if im not mistaken also I have never seen a connector that is rectangular for a laptop is that the one that goes into your laptop? well in any case you can use that power bank to keep a trickle charge on your laptop just make sure you have the right converted usb or micro usb cable that has your laptops power port connection on the other end

LilTwist

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014
no it will just charge slower and if you are using it for heavy usage then it will still drain the battery while you are using it just not as fast as if you didnt have it plugged in. I did a little research on trying to charge tablets faster and everyone said the same thing that if you go over the limit the battery can take then it will fry or some have built in current chokes so they wont charge any faster than the charger that came with the tablet and if you charge the tablet with a charger that is weaker than the charger that came with the tablet than it will still drain your battery even on the charger just not as slow as if it wasnt plugged in at all. the tablet battery is pretty much the same thing as a laptop battery they are both lithium ion batteries so under charging the battery is fine just dont go past the voltage and amps that come with the stock laptop charger also you can put it like this have you ever charged your phone or your tablet from your pc instead of a wall socket? the charge is weaker from the pc than the one from the wall because the motherboard dosnt supply the same amount of voltage and amperage as the charger does from the wall socket so the same principle goes for the laptop battery also

LilTwist

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014
those power banks are not dc they are ac and yes you will be bottle necking because the power bank is only 12v when your laptop requires 20v if im not mistaken also I have never seen a connector that is rectangular for a laptop is that the one that goes into your laptop? well in any case you can use that power bank to keep a trickle charge on your laptop just make sure you have the right converted usb or micro usb cable that has your laptops power port connection on the other end

Solution

mdocod

Distinguished
If your laptop requires 20V input, it may well have a 14.8V Battery configuration. If it does, then 12V input won't work very well, as the internal battery will have to be basically drained flat before you can drawn any current from your external power.