Question Is it bad practice to put Backup Images inside an Archive ?

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
I use Marcum Reflect to create regular image files of my Windows 10 OS. To save disk space, I've been in the habit of using Winzip/Winrar to add it to an archive (to shrink the file size while I house it on my backup drive).

I was wondering if this is frowned up, or could cause any issues/corruptions later? I've never had any issues unzipping it thus far.

I wouldn't do it.

I deal with compressed stuff a bit..usually with mp3 files that are NOT highly important one way or the other. I've occasionally gotten into a problem I could not resolve....corruption, peculiarity, unknown.

I suppose you have to consider the relative importance of:

Access to a Macrium image. Maybe a minor deal to you...

versus

Saving space on a drive. Seems to be significant to you?

I'd go strongly for the former, but you apparently (?) assign more importance to saving space..for whatever reason. Suit yourself.

Reactions: Cilantro7536
Mar 27, 2024
Some backup software have the option to compress the image too. If you have multiple versions, you can compromise just saving the old ones in compressed format.

Yeah; Macrium images are compressed to a "medium" level by default.

A "high" compression setting is available, but my experimenting told me that "high" doesn't save much additional space. But it might be enough to alleviate your concern about saving space and allow you to forget about RAR files.

Images are already complicated to a degree. I'd be reluctant to add even more complexity in the form of another program, but you may have enough level of concern over drive space to justify it.

Reactions: Ralston18

Ralston18

Titan
Seconding @Lafong

My suggestion would be to obtain more drive space and moot the requirement to compress files.

And do remember that you need to have multiple copies of backup files stored in different locations. Verified to be recoverable and readable.

If there is only one backup then any failures will render file compression (or not) moot.

Hopefully obtaining more drive(s) and/or drive space is a viable option for you.

USAFRet

Titan
I use Marcum Reflect to create regular image files of my Windows 10 OS. To save disk space, I've been in the habit of using Winzip/Winrar to add it to an archive (to shrink the file size while I house it on my backup drive).

I was wondering if this is frowned up, or could cause any issues/corruptions later? I've never had any issues unzipping it thus far.
How much drive space do you actually gain?

Drive space is cheap. I wouldn't do this.

Reactions: CountMike
How much drive space do you actually gain?

Drive space is cheap. I wouldn't do this.
In my experience about 5-10 % between medium and high but that possibly doubles the time. Incremental makes a bit larger .mrimg file while differential smaller. Same problem like with all compression, some files are more compressible than others, some not at all.

USAFRet

Titan
In my experience about 5-10 % between medium and high but that possibly doubles the time. Incremental makes a bit larger .mrimg file while differential smaller. Same problem like with all compression, some files are more compressible than others, some not at all.
Actually, individual Incrementals should be smaller than Diffs.

Incremental is the changes since the last Incremental.
Differential is all the changes since the last Full Image.
As time goes on, the Diffs get larger and larger.

But, for recovery, you need ALL the incrementals since the last Full.
With Differentials, all you need is the original Full, and the most recent Differential.

Actually, individual Incrementals should be smaller than Diffs.

Incremental is the changes since the last Incremental.
Differential is all the changes since the last Full Image.
As time goes on, the Diffs get larger and larger.

But, for recovery, you need ALL the incrementals since the last Full.
With Differentials, all you need is the original Full, and the most recent Differential.
Yes, you are right about incremental, that's what use and because of frequent experiments with OS, SW and HW, I keep last 3 incremental backups plus it makes a consolidated file that grows with time which is by now about half the size of full.

TRENDING THREADS