[SOLVED] is it bad to constantly jump start your motherboard with a screwdriver.

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
ive just bought a h410 motherboard, and i dont have a case, which means no power button. and so i can jump start it, but since i wont be getting a case for a while, maybe 2 weeks or so, is it bad to constantly jump start my motherboard with a screwdriver? are there better alternatives to this, or is this the only way to jump start it? thanks in advance!

Solution
ive just bought a h410 motherboard, and i dont have a case, which means no power button. and so i can jump start it, but since i wont be getting a case for a while, maybe 2 weeks or so, is it bad to constantly jump start my motherboard with a screwdriver? are there better alternatives to this, or is this the only way to jump start it? thanks in advance!
Excluding accidents (dropping screw driver or shorting wrong pins etc.) it's same function as Start button/switch which is just a momentary, normally open switch like a doorbell. If you have an old case you could rip start or reset switch from it and use it temporarily.

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
Nothing wrong with 'jumping' the power pins. I do that with naked test boards on my bench.

The only thing you have to be careful of is dropping the screwdriver on the motherboard or accidentally hitting something with it.

Tip: It's easier to use Philips heads than flat ones.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019

You casing power switch does the same thing. ITs basically shorting the 2 pins.

Excluding accidents (dropping screw driver or shorting wrong pins etc.) it's same function as Start button/switch which is just a momentary, normally open switch like a doorbell. If you have an old case you could rip start or reset switch from it and use it temporarily.

Solution