[SOLVED] Is It Bad to Leave a New System Unused for a Week?

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
The title says it all - is it bad to leave a fully assembled new computer unused for a week before first use? Just worrying about the thermal paste setup noting else...
Thanks!

Solution
Another worry wort question .... are there any possible destructive results to plugging in the front panel power switch/reset switch/hdd/power led connectors in wrong? It seems like they're the only connectors that aren't foolproof... or maybe not seems, maybe they are...
Thanks!
Usually not, Switches (Buttons) are not polarized, LED s are but connecting them with wrong polarity results only in them not lighting up.
Worst case would be to connect switches (Start and Reset buttons) to LED and other connectors because pressing them could result in instant short circuit that may damage parts of or whole motherboard !!! Connecting LEDs to wrong connector may result in LED burning out.

Ralston18

Titan
No. Not bad.

The only caveat being where the new computer is being stored. If, for example, in a location where the computer is subject to heat, humidity, etc. then that would be a concern.

Of lesser concern might be the quality of the thermal paste and how well it was applied.

Potential problems there are probably not a function of time unless the thermal paste is so substandard it degrades to the point of being worthless in any case.

Reactions: CountMike

DataMeister

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
Normally the answer would be no. Nothing wrong with that.

The one exception I can think of might be if you have assembled the computer with off the shelf parts and are nearing the end of the reseller's no-hassle return policy for any given part (for example Amazon's 30 day window). You might end up firing up the computer a couple days after the return window has expired and have a defective part which would then require you to go through the much slower manufacturer's warranty replacement system.

Reactions: JWNoctis

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
Thanks guys. Sounds like I'm good to go.

@Ralston18 What kinda heat are we talking about? Just curious... my case's white back side is currently facing the window so not worried about the case or internals getting too hot. In the back of my mind I was a little concerned about that kind of heat; would it be a possible problem if a black colored part was exposed to sun for too long? Could it reach temperatures higher than normal operating temperatures?

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
@USAFRet Good point ha why didn't I think of that myself. I'm guessing a couple hours of direct sun 'blasting' at the black colored components won't be enough to harm a thing let alone get above critical temperatures like 80+ C... How hot can things get baking in the sun most of the day? How hot is too hot?

USAFRet

Titan
@USAFRet Good point ha why didn't I think of that myself. I'm guessing a couple hours of direct sun 'blasting' at the black colored components won't be enough to harm a thing let alone get above critical temperatures like 80+ C... How hot can things get baking in the sun most of the day? How hot is too hot?
If it is inside the house, and the house temp is comfortable for you...it is fine for the PC.
Even sitting by the window.

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
Another worry wort question .... are there any possible destructive results to plugging in the front panel power switch/reset switch/hdd/power led connectors in wrong? It seems like they're the only connectors that aren't foolproof... or maybe not seems, maybe they are...
Thanks!

Thanks!
Usually not, Switches (Buttons) are not polarized, LED s are but connecting them with wrong polarity results only in them not lighting up.
Worst case would be to connect switches (Start and Reset buttons) to LED and other connectors because pressing them could result in instant short circuit that may damage parts of or whole motherboard !!! Connecting LEDs to wrong connector may result in LED burning out.

Solution