Is it bad to run a power supply at 100% load?

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Okay,

So I've loaded up a old machine with a bunch of salvaged hardware. It's lightning fast now, but I was wondering if all of this new stuff is going to kill my machine's PSU in time.

After doing a couple calculations it appears that I am probably running my 8 year old power supply at about 90% of its rated values. Is this going to hurt the unit or is it designed to be able to run at its peak all the time.

I am running a Dell Slim Power Supply Model 1N405.

Thanks.

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Well its a 180W PSU that I am running this off of:

2.8GHz Pentium 4 Northwood
1280MB DDR1 (2 Sticks)
Nvidia GeForce 6200 AGP
Maxtor 60GB 7200RPM
CD Drive
SoundBlaster Live! Card

Oh an the whole 90% number is sort of made up...but I think the power requirements would be pretty close to 180W.

I mean these things aren't too demanding but I can't find that much on their power requirements....

Timop

Distinguished
For the 12v rail, its just the CPU, so 70W.
The 6200 and drives should run off the +3.3V rail IIRC, so about 50W there;
Then the Mobo should draw off the +5v rail, so another 30W there.

Check the specs of the PSU, you shouldn't be loading it @100%.

Timop

Distinguished

The 5VFP is for the USB power i think.

You should be fine and still have a little headroom even with capacitor deterioration factored in given the PSU wasn't abused. 120W on the 12v rail is enough for a P4, the 3.3v rail looks a bit tight, but molex do carry both 12v and 3.3v power, so it could be offloaded to your 12v rail, and the 5v is perfectly enough.

5VFP is probably the 'standby' 5V source. Gives the computer some power even when it's turned 'off'.

HDDs use both 5v (drive electronics) and 12v (mechanical parts).

Is the PSU pushing out really hot air at idle? Thats a first sign you're pushing it really hard. Can you tell a difference in PSU exhaust heat when you put a heavy work load on the computer?

go on this site,
http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/
put your system specs in and it will let you what you require,
Consider removing the psu, and cleaning it, after 8 years theres going to be some dust in there which wont be helping its performance one bit :p
Moto

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009

Good point. Maybe I should have tested to see how hot it was at idle. Well I really don't have an actual exhaust in this case because its a small form factor, meaning a lot of the hot air is exhausted through the power supply...so it might be a bit misleading.

Maybe if I opened up the PSU and gave it a good dusting, it would run cooler...

That recommendation is to help the PSU run at it's most efficient range (usually 40%-80% range) and allow for 'average' PSUs that aren't as good as the high quality units. It's probably a good sign that you might be pushing the 180W limit. Of course not all your parts (like your DVD burner) will be drawing peak power at the same time, so you might continue to squeak by.

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Well, I might have one option but that will bring the total cost of this computer to over $150 which is still pretty good considering how well it should perform in theory.
Seasonic SS-250SU

I can get it shipped for like $30 but I mean its just one more thing to buy and add to the basket.

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009

You confuse me dude. If you can get me a $150 system that can match mine, be my guest. :D

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009

Ahem, the point is I don't need a new PC. I have this old one that cost me only $120. And you should def lower the price on that computer. Like $75 is reasonable.

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009

I will. Especially with mah new 1U Seasonic PSU! :D