Is it bad to run prime 95 and watch bluray...

decen

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
So yeah, my wife got home and we immidiately started watching Coraline, and i go to put in ice age when we finish and its stuttering. so i minimize the player and look at everest and im running at 71* on cpu and cpu 1-4 were in the 80* range. thats when i realized i was still running prime. shut it off and my temps went back down to the 30* range. doesnt prime have error detection to prevent that?

Solution
Well, your accidental STRESS test has detected an airflow problem in your PC lol.

Have you ever run Prime95 for, say, 4 hours? Are the results the same?

If not, and you overheat when you also push the vid card just a tad, your case is holding too much hot air.

May not be serious, or even a real issue, but worth checking out.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
No, Prime95 is meant for running at 100% on every core in the system, hence why it is great for stress testing. It doesn't take any prisoners.

Why would you call that an error? Prime95 is doing exactly as it was written, to use the available resources to find and calculate Mersenne Prime numbers.

decen

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
not an error yet but if there had been too much stress. scared the crap out of me when i was watching coraline i just felt like an idiot for going bluray. kinda glad the slowning was caused by prime. but I wonder how hot it would have gotten if i hadnt noticed

Well, your accidental STRESS test has detected an airflow problem in your PC lol.

Have you ever run Prime95 for, say, 4 hours? Are the results the same?

If not, and you overheat when you also push the vid card just a tad, your case is holding too much hot air.

May not be serious, or even a real issue, but worth checking out.

Solution

decen

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
Prime was running since i d/led it around 2pm, i wasnt running everest the whole time to moniter my temps but im running an i7 in a lanbox so I am going to have airflow issues. stock cooler not oced yet but i wanted to see where i stand with heat. after watching ice age though my temps are still in the 30's. but the room is a lot cooler and i have my fan pointing at the case. by time we finished coraline the ambient was at 82* its at 75* now.

decen

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
thanks, hopefully i can oc in this case but i dont think so lol
Gotta decide before i move wether i am going to buy a low pro cooler before i move. Maybe if its accesable in japan water, I cant see being able to run this on air in the summer there with no a/c