[SOLVED] Is it bad to shut down a computer and turn it off by the switch in the back often?

Mar 5, 2020
When I’m not going to be using my computer for a day or more I usually shut it down completely. But I have a computer that has lights on it, so even when I shut it down, the mouse light stays on. So I started to flip the switch in the back to turn off all the power. Now I realized it would have been better to just unplug my mouse instead.

But what I’m wondering is if turning it off by the switch in the back all the time is going to ruin anything with my computer. I have been doing this for roughly three years or more but haven’t seen any issues arise. Will it affect any components or the life of my computer?

Solution
Yeah, no worries. There's nothing wrong with switching the PSU off at the switch, no components will be compromised. Actually, it's good practice if being absent from the computer for some time. In the unlikely event your house receives a power surge, even though the PSU should protect the system while it's off, there's that extra layer of protection using the main switch.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, no worries. There's nothing wrong with switching the PSU off at the switch, no components will be compromised. Actually, it's good practice if being absent from the computer for some time. In the unlikely event your house receives a power surge, even though the PSU should protect the system while it's off, there's that extra layer of protection using the main switch.

Reactions: birdwithacomputer
Solution
Mar 5, 2020
Thank you! I have my computer plugged into a surge protector as well for extra protection.

Reactions: boju