Is it bad to unplug pc at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

conormcgregor809

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017
Hi! Everytime, I'm going to bed, I always unplug my pc. I just feel uncomfortable leaving it plugged in. Would this cause any trouble in the future?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Unless you are super paranoid, or live in a very lightning prone area, you should get a power strip/surge protector and just toggle the switch. Save some wear and tear on the wall socket and your cord. (Not that those are terribly difficult to replace)

Depending on the connector used, if you repeatedly unplug the power cable at the PSU, it can wear down the connector over time. That's really rare, though.

Generally, there's no issue at all if you shut it down properly before unplugging it.

Like Eximo says, so if you wear it out, you replace the $5 cord, do we have to think about this? :)

Generally, there's no issue at all if you shut it down properly before unplugging it.
Oh God yes, obvious to most of us like the sky is blue, don't pull the plug until you have told Windows to shutdown and the screen is gone black.

OP, whatever float ur boat man, don't over think it.

The connector I'm referring to is the one on the PSU. The cord might wear out, but as you say, replacing it is negligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.