Is it bad to use integrated graphics?

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Let's say i don't play games and i wish to sell the dedicated GPU from my PC.. Does it put more load on the procssor? leading to overheating? Besides that I've also heard using iGPU keeps some part of the RAM reserved which eventually decreses the Wei score in Windows 7. Although I've got 8 GB of RAM in my PC but the question is regardless of gaming or non gaming, is it worse to use iGPU over a dedicated GPU? I've a 2nd gen core-i5 CPU if that matters.

Solution
Using the iGPU is not bad if you're not going to be doing things that are graphics intensive. It will offload some of its load to system RAM if it's being used heavily and it will heat up your CPU a bit, but even a stock cooler could cool a CPU like that as long as it's not overclocked.

It is specifically worse to use an iGPU over a dedicated GPU, but if you're not really using your dedicated GPU for any real purpose like gaming or rendering, then there's no point in having it. It won't affect idle performance or browsing performance that much.

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
Using the iGPU is not bad if you're not going to be doing things that are graphics intensive. It will offload some of its load to system RAM if it's being used heavily and it will heat up your CPU a bit, but even a stock cooler could cool a CPU like that as long as it's not overclocked.

It is specifically worse to use an iGPU over a dedicated GPU, but if you're not really using your dedicated GPU for any real purpose like gaming or rendering, then there's no point in having it. It won't affect idle performance or browsing performance that much.

Solution

Lutfij

Titan
It actually depends on what games you're talking about. There are games that can put discrete GPU's of good beef to their knees. The iGPU depending on which platform you're talking about would draw memory from your system reducing the effective amount of ram left to your system's disposal. Mutlitaksing can take a small hit when some ram is taken off(or multitabbed browsing).

In short, if we knew what your specs were it's possible to state whether you're only pumping heat with your existing GPU or you're going to cripple the system gaming off the iGPU alone.

larkspur

Distinguished
For typical windows tasks there won't be any noticeable difference between using the iGPU and a dedicated GPU (dGPU). You have 8gb of RAM that should be plenty for everyday windows tasks using the iGPU. If you have a good dedicated GPU and don't need it for gaming or content creation, then you're better off selling it. Especially because GPU prices (used included) are very inflated right now. Unless your CPU heatsink needs new paste, then heat should not be a problem even when using the iGPU. Keep in mind though that any modern 3D gaming will be horrible on the iGPU.