Is it best to fork out extra for G-Sync?

J4M3S

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017
I'm on a slight budget of £300-£400 right now after my new build. I have a Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Extreme in there so I require a new monitor.

I originally wanted 27" but figured they were too expensive in the end so I've landed on a couple of 24". I am after 1440p + 144hz just to future proof things a little.

Question is, do I need G-Sync? I've found two monitors here, one with and one without (the other actually has Adaptive-Sync), is G-Sync worth the extra £? And can I even benefit from Adaptive-Sync if I'm using an NVIDIA card, or do I have to have an AMD card for that anyway?

http://www.ebuyer.com/758244-aoc-agon-ag241qx-24-gaming-monitor-ag241qx

http://www.ebuyer.com/755825-acer-predator-xb241yu-23-8-wqhd-gaming-monitor-um-qx1ee-001

If instead anyone can recommend a better monitor than the two above for £300-£400 then I'd appreciate that too.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
The first monitor you linked there uses amd freesync, freesync will not work with a 1070.

I have the PG279Q with g sync and I really like it, I wouldn't say its necessary but its certainly nice to have. G sync syncs the monitors refresh rate to the fps your gpu is spitting out, so if your game is running at say 88fps your monitor is running at 88hz. This eliminates screen tearing and seems to make games feel smoother especially at sub 60fps.

Atomicdonut17

Reputable
Feb 4, 2017
G-Sync isn't necessary if you use a good monitor and digital output. Screen tearing is the primary issue that makes people want it, and most games use V-Sync as a fixer for it. However, I am not an expert, and I've known tell of people who just prefer them because it's a very good screen-tear proof thing to have, but it tends to make the monitors more expensive. Exponentially so. It's the main reason a lot of people on budgets go AMD, for their much cheaper FreeSync. :{P

G-Sync - once you've seen it you will never want to be without it, so much smoother. I am (still) extremely happy with my 1440p g-sync powered by a 970, looks and plays fantastic.

Disagree with Lucky_SLS, by the time the upper-midrange 1070 is decrepid, it's upper-midrange replacement will be cheap, paying extra for more than 'plenty' of horsepower now is a false economy - once you hit the high-end you're value for money calculation takes an increasingly larger hit.

Totally agree with sizzling, for fast games, vsync is just a source of display lag.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
The first monitor you linked there uses amd freesync, freesync will not work with a 1070.

I have the PG279Q with g sync and I really like it, I wouldn't say its necessary but its certainly nice to have. G sync syncs the monitors refresh rate to the fps your gpu is spitting out, so if your game is running at say 88fps your monitor is running at 88hz. This eliminates screen tearing and seems to make games feel smoother especially at sub 60fps.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS