Is it better to downgrade my graphics card for a better cpu?

Jellyboi

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
Im looking to build a mid range gaming pc and not sure whether it is worth it to downgrade the graphics card for a better cpu.

im deciding between fx 4350 and i5 4440. So should i get a the i5 cpu and use a 7850 or use the fx 4350 with a gtx 760?

i want this build to last as long as possible. Im not going to be playing bf3 or bf4. Im going to be playing minecraft with shaders on multiplayer and games such as fc3 and crysis 3 etc

Which cpu is better? Is it a massive difference?

Solution
It's not just about how fast a CPU runs, but how much work it gets done per cycle. That's where Intel has the big edge on AMD. AMD is fast but inefficient. Intel is efficient but slightly slower. An Intel that runs at the same speed of an AMD chip will run it down every time.

I'd say spend more on the CPU given that you won't upgrade it near as often, nor will it be as easy to replace. With that in mind If you could meet somewhere in the middle you'd have a great combination. (As Onus has pointed out).
Ordinarily, games are sufficiently more dependent on the graphics card than the CPU to make a stronger graphics card the better choice.
In this case though, the disparity is so great that there are some games (I believe including two you listed) that will suffer too much with a weak CPU.
Can you fit an i5 with a HD7870 / R9 270X or GTX660Ti into your budget? I believe that compromise would be better overall. Keep in mind also that it is relatively easy to upgrade a graphics card.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
The FX 4350 is a fast enough CPU. You generally won't notice massive performance differences between these two CPUs.

If you can get a better GPU, go for it. Better GPU will always net you a better experience than a better CPU.

JochemTheGeek

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014
Not true. The 4440 is faster than the fx-4350.
Anyway, I would go for the GTX 760. There won't be major bottleneck, if any, and the HD7850 would just be able to play your games on medium settings, while the GTX760 will give you a way better experience.

My rig has an 650 ti boost (comparable to the HD7850) and an Athlon II 760k (little bit slower than the FX-4350). When my GPU is undet full load, my CPU is at 30-50%.

Powerbolt

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
It's not just about how fast a CPU runs, but how much work it gets done per cycle. That's where Intel has the big edge on AMD. AMD is fast but inefficient. Intel is efficient but slightly slower. An Intel that runs at the same speed of an AMD chip will run it down every time.

I'd say spend more on the CPU given that you won't upgrade it near as often, nor will it be as easy to replace. With that in mind If you could meet somewhere in the middle you'd have a great combination. (As Onus has pointed out).

Solution

pcprophet

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014

plus intel has multithreading :D

The i5 does not have hyperthreading (I believe that is what you meant). The i3 and i7 use hyperthreading. In the case of the i3, the 2c/4t actually does offer pretty decent improvement, but the 4c/8t of the i7 doesn't make as big a difference (if any, in most titles).

pcprophet

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014

A lot of games are using big cpu power now though which is often unnecessary. Cough cough DayZ