[SOLVED] is it cpu or bad ram?

Nov 17, 2019
hi all, i have i5 4th gen based system with : dh87mc intel mb, 1333mhz 8gb stick. few days ago prochot led started and cpu went into never ending restarting cycle. i googled for solution and as recommended cleaned fan, heatsink, cleaned residue of old thermal paste from both - cpu & heatsink - and applied new. prochot still winks & problem persists. i googled again & removed ram stick... n voila! prochot blinks only @ the start n cpu doesn`t keep restarting. only dat after smtime mb makes 3 beeps n then cpu restarts. my question is does this indicate bad ram stick? i inerted it in different slot, but d moment i do it, d problem returns.

Solution
Try to boot it with 1 stick at the time to test ALL ram in your system. If the PC gets boot loops at some point you can see which ram stick is the culprit

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to mention how many sticks of ram you're working with and if they are all identical sticks of ram. If you're working with only one stick of ram, try and source another stick of ram(known working) from a friend or neighbor that happens to have a DDR3 ram equipped system.

You should ideally be on DDR3-1600MHz 1.5v~1.65v ram kits(or rams sticks). Latest BIOS update for the motherboard?

Fkort96

Great
Nov 17, 2019
Try to boot it with 1 stick at the time to test ALL ram in your system. If the PC gets boot loops at some point you can see which ram stick is the culprit

Solution
Nov 17, 2019
I h
Might want to mention how many sticks of ram you're working with and if they are all identical sticks of ram. If you're working with only one stick of ram, try and source another stick of ram(known working) from a friend or neighbor that happens to have a DDR3 ram equipped system.

You should ideally be on DDR3-1600MHz 1.5v~1.65v ram kits(or rams sticks). Latest BIOS update for the motherboard?
I haven't updated bios (not sure how to do it. Never done that before. But not sure if this issue is related to it).
I think I must try another ram stick (I've only one). But, could you confirm if a bad ram stick can cause 'prochot' to blink?

TRENDING THREADS