Is it dangerous to extend C:\ drive volume ?

RedLakamora

Prominent
May 24, 2017
Hi,

I'd like to extend my C drive volume but would like to know if it's dangerous in any ways, if it is, what are the dangers ?

Thanks.

Solution

No, not physical damage.
But data loss, yes, if you do it wrong.

USAFRet

Titan

Messing with partitions, especially on the C drive, can result in a bad outcome.

Now...what are you actually wanting to do?
With what? What drives, types, and sizes?

Please show us a screencap of your current Disk Management window.

RedLakamora

Prominent
May 24, 2017
Well, I'd like to extend my C drive size and D drive size to 300 and 700 respectively, but as you can see in this picture it's at 299 and 699, as shown here :

fVK6nu3.png

This happened because System Reserved Volume took a bit of each drive making it display 299 instead of 300

otp5Bki.png

in Disk Management it shows 300, same as when I installed the OS and partitioned my HDD, but once at Windows it's 299.
My questions are the following:
1. What's the safest practice to extend my C and D drive (I don't mind E just C and D)
2. Are System Reserved Volume a fixed volume that won't change by time going by ?

USAFRet

Titan
OK, those are partitions, not 'drives'. You have 1 physical drive.
A 2TB HDD?

In Disk Management, you can 'probably' extend the partitions to the right. Probably.
Extend the C into the D.
Or, use one of the several 3rd party partition tools to do this.

But...you really need to have a full backup before you do this. Messing with partitions can end up badly, and loss of all data.

There seems to be no data in that D and E partitions. Is this true?

RedLakamora

Prominent
May 24, 2017
Yes, sorry my bad, you are completely right, this is a new build, and a new 2Tb HDD.

That's correct, there's nothing at all in D and E, and I don't have precious data on my HDD yet so that's why I plan on doing this operation before I download or install more things

This is how I planned on doing things: Delete D and E to get adjacent Unallocated Space near C, extend C by small amounts till it displays 300Gb on Windows, Create D, Adjust it to get 700Gb on Windows, Create E with all what is left.

Does it sound safe and doable ?

If something goes wrong what are my options to get things work again ?

Thanks a lot for replying.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes that should work. You shouldn't need to extend by 'small amounts'. You can probably do it in one whole chunk.

Options if things go wrong?
A full backup of the data before you start this process.
Be prepared for full loss of data. Be thankful if you do not have to resort to your backup.

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
System Reserved partition probably will never change its byte-space size. I have set up and altered partitions within a physical hard-drive a few times. Based on my experiences, thank God my backups were restorable, I highly recommend you do not alter C or D. Continue doing your routine full image backups of your OS and Data partitions onto external media -- and keep on keepin' on with your programs that bring you business and pleasure.

USAFRet

Titan

No, not physical damage.
But data loss, yes, if you do it wrong.

Solution