Is It Dangerous To Shut Down PC Using PSU Switch

Shaan5

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
I have been having issues with my PC where it won't shut down so I have been forced to shut it down using the Power button on the back and then Unplug at the wall, Is there any chance that this could harm my PC

Shaan5

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015

Is there any chance that it could harm my PC Hardware though, I mean Windows isn't even running when I do it

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
If Windows is already shut down... then no.. no harm... But that begs the question... why do you need to turn it off if Windows is already shut down? Are the lights on your mouse/keyboard still on after shutdown? That's the only thing I could think of for someone wanting to turn off the power from the PSU button.

Shaan5

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015

I tell Windows to shut down, Windows shuts down as in the monitor doesn't display anything but the PC stays on and the LED stays on, fans keep spinning

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

OH... then your computer isn't shutdown... it sounds like it's hanging during the shutdown progress. In that case.. you don't have any other choice but to turn it off like that... until you can resolve the issue. Perhaps you have a bad driver installed?

Shaan5

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015

I've been working on resolving it for a while but i Dont know, It got pretty bad, I tried restarting and I got a BSOD, It booted into Windows Shortly after but I don't know

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

May I ask you... how long have you had your current install of Windows? Most people don't know or realize this but I've read that to keep Windows running smoothly you should perform a new/clean reinstall every six months.

Shaan5

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015

1 and a half months. It's a pretty large issue that I'm currently working on fixing.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

Oh wow... then I would look at your drivers. I once attached a Logitech Webcam that I bought for my old XP system. There were drivers that were suppose to work with my system.. but they were really bad and stopped my computer from shutting down.. I also lost the ability to run my screen saver, too.. (that bad driver affected my entire Power Management in Windows).

Have you tried going into Device Manager to see if you had any yellow icons there? Have you attached or installed any new hardware or outdated software? You might be able to trace the problem by remembering anything you've done or added about 1 week prior to this problem beginning.

Shaan5

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015

I haven't done anything in recent memory that Could Have caused this(I don't think), I don't get any Yellow icons so I have all the drivers. I'm going to run MemTest86 because apparently faulty memory is a pretty big issue for some, After, I'll boot into safe mode and see if it still happens, I'll mess around with Drivers as well because I remember the BSOD mentioned drivers.
I'm not too worried though

USAFRet

Titan

'You have read' ?
No. My current main PC install is from whenever Win 8.1 was released as an update from 8. Previous, it was whenever 8 was released.

If you install and uninstall a whole bunch of crap applications, then maybe. Easy solution? Don't do that.

Shaan5

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015

So You're saying that reinstalling windows isn't a good idea?
Kinda Confused

USAFRet

Titan

I'm saying that it is not necessary, unless you have some other issues.
For instance...an issue with multiple, deep virus infestations. Which is faster? To try to fix it and never really know if it's fixed? Or to just reinstall...
Or some other deep underlying issue where the OS doesn't work right.

But in general, there is no real need to 'reinstall every 6 months'. Don't mess up the OS, and there is no need to reinstall.

Shaan5

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015

Oh, Ok.
Thanks For The Clarification