Is it dead?

notj0e

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
Hey thanks for taking the time to view this thread.

Okay so, a few days ago I installed a hard drive into my computer and due to the location of the SATA ports I was required to remove the GPU. The removal process of the GPU may have been the cause for this issue but I digress.

Later on that night (about 2-3 hours) my computer just abruptly shut off. No prior indication, no freezing, no artifacts - just turned off.

Assuming nothing of it I turned the PC back on, only to be greeted with a strange, loud spinning of the GPU fans and an abnormal, burning smell.

Since then, I've been unable to use the GPU for anything, all it's good for is making its fans spin at 100 percent.

I'm assuming it's either the graphics card or the power supply and I've done the following to troubleshoot. I've already applied for an RMA with EVGA and I hope to receive a successful ticket so I can send it away. Before I do, I thought it might be best that I consult with the experts over here on this forum.

Troubleshooting:

Removed and reseated the GPU numerous times

Tried different PCIE power connectors

Tried different PCI slots on the motherboard

Tried removing all the components except for the RAM CPU and GPU (booted successfully, in fact the entire system works fine without it)

Should I proceed with my RMA with EVGA? Is there anything I can do to rule out the PSU? It should be noted that I only have one PC, and only 1 GPU and PSU.

If it helps my specs are:
GIGABYTE Z97X GAMING 7
i5 4670k
EVGA GTX 780ti ACX SC
4x4 ddr3 c9 1600 Corsair Vengeance Pro
Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
Samsung 840 EVO 250gb (os installed)
Seagate Barracuda 2tb
WD black 1.5tb (new hdd)
NOCTUA NH U14S
Corsair RM 650
Samsung OEM disc burner
Windows 10

tl;dr I came here to ask if I should conclude my GPU is dead and send it for warranty or continue troubleshooting. ANY advice is greatly appreciated.

notj0e

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
It was weird. I could only smell it the first time. Once I restarted a couple times it was completely absent. It was only a faint smell to begin with. So faint that I couldn't determine the actual source.