Is it dead?

G

Just putting together a new system using a 850MHz Duron and Abit KT7A board. When I got the CPU I noticed that the core was slightly chipped in the corner and again a bit further along. Now I know I should have sent it straight back, but I've been waiting ages for the stuff to arrive, I don't get much time off work, etc, etc, and basically I just couldn't wait another month to sort it all out - so I tried it anyway. The system powers up (fans, HD, CD, etc) but then nothing else happens. No system bleeps, no signal to the monitor.....nothing at all really! Checked all the usual connections, re-seated everything, checked the case mountings for shorts, cleared the BIOS, etc - but still nothing. So I'm "guessing" the CPU is in fact dead after all. I've actually looked around other message boards and there seems to be tons of bad Durons around at the moment - at Icrontic.com every other message seems to be the same as my problem (totally dead system, other than power). So is this simply a case of a bad Duron (as it seems) or could it be some problem with KT7A motherboards? AMD did remove Abit from their recommened suppliers list for a while, and even now only the KT7 latest revision is on the list.

Or could something else be wrong with my system?

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, that's what happens when you have a "Dead" cpu. send it back and tell them you got it like that (which is the truth).
May I ask why it took a month to get to you?

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone would ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

G

OK cheers I'll send it back anyway - just hope that IS the problem!

It didn't actually take a month to get to me - I work silly hours and I don't really get much time to sort stuff out. Getting things delivered and collected is a pain. I've had the bits for a couple of weeks now, but I've not had any time off to put it all together until this weekend! It was such a let down when I switched it on and nothing happened :(

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
this is the reality my friends!

Amd puts out fragile sh!t that you have take herioc measures just to keep it cool. a ticking time-bomb waiting to die on you.

Amd when will you learn. don't you think it's sad to see your customer's chip burn? no? well neither did I.

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for that, Meltdown. Think we heard it the first 5000000000000000000000000000000000 times. dumbass, go spam on the Intel board cause we don't listen to your crap.

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone would ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That's not really true... The AMD chips can actually take quite a lot of heat! While trying to overclock my 650 Duron, I had it at 900 MHz. at 1.85 volts for 15 minutes with the CPU fan unpluged! On my A7V board, the voltage jumpers are easier to get to with the CPU fan unplugged... and... well... you can guess the story!

After 15 minutes, I walked back in the room to a blue screen, fried my fingers on the heatsink and realized what I'd done and chopped the power. Cooled it down and it booted and ran fine afterward. Pretty tough chip I'd say...

Scout

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Well ladies and gentlemn we are here today to pay homage to another poor duron it seems he just couldnt take the way life made him and well cracked. we will always remeber him as the processor that could but didnt. no one is to blame no one could have prevented this horror from takeing place all we can do now is pray for the other durons pray for their rebirths as a celeron or a p3. Halleluiah Halleluiah Halleluiah !!!

SPUD

I saw the future it gave me a big intel hug:)

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yep... I bought a used Chevy and the bumper fell off when I brought it home. Chevy Sucks!!!!!!!!!!

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s