KrumyMPG

Reputable
Dec 19, 2019
A few days ago I was playing Rocket League and all of the sudden my pc BSOD and turned off. It would not turn back on fully after this. It will boot up and say preparing automatic repair and then takes me to the windows options for recovery, but will not boot into windows. I did not get a chance to see what the code was on the BSOD. I checked the back of the motherboard and on the back side where the power delivery is on the front by the left side of the cpu there is what look to be hot spots where the board is discolored. When I tried to boot the system back up several times, it seemed that the cpu was much hotter than normal and the memory rgb took longer than it should to come up. Also my fans went straight to 100 percent as soon as it tried to boot into windows. My question is what do y'all think is wrong? Please help, I miss my baby lol. Sorry I cannot put pictures, but I am out of town right now trying to figure this out while I am away.

System specs:

Ryzen 5 3600
Asrock Steel Legend ATX B450
Gammax 800w modular PSU
16GB 3200mHz Geil SuperLuce RAM
Zotac RTX 2080 GPU
Team 512gb nvme
Toshiba 1 TB HDD

What is the ACTUAL model of your power supply? Because if it's the one I think it is it might even has some responsibility for the motherboard damage.

If there are obviously heat damaged discolorations on the motherboard, along with the problems you are having, then it is highly probable that you have a dying motherboard. Determining how it died is pretty important though as this is not typical of most motherboard failures.

I'd like to see some pictures of the damaged areas when you get a chance and knowing the exact model of your motherboard would be helpful as well.

Also, this is quite often the kind of thing that happens sometimes when something has shorted a part of the board out, so checking to see that there are no standoffs in the wrong location under the motherboard and that nothing else has managed to short something out would be highly important.

Reactions: King_V

KrumyMPG

Reputable
Dec 19, 2019
What is the ACTUAL model of your power supply? Because if it's the one I think it is it might even has some responsibility for the motherboard damage.

If there are obviously heat damaged discolorations on the motherboard, along with the problems you are having, then it is highly probable that you have a dying motherboard. Determining how it died is pretty important though as this is not typical of most motherboard failures.

I'd like to see some pictures of the damaged areas when you get a chance and knowing the exact model of your motherboard would be helpful as well.

Also, this is quite often the kind of thing that happens sometimes when something has shorted a part of the board out, so checking to see that there are no standoffs in the wrong location under the motherboard and that nothing else has managed to short something out would be highly important.

My apologies. It is a gamemax rgb 800w gold rated psu

https://www.amazon.com/GAMEMAX-Supp...cphy=1014948&hvtargid=pla-1686634850850&psc=1

I cannot send pictures of the motherboard for a while, but there are several discolorations that look to be due to heat behind the vrm to the left of the cpu. I know the standoffs are in the correct locations, i would have to check if anything else has shorted the board, but I honestly would not know much of what to look for as far as what would short the pc.

Well, the first thing you want to do is get that GameMax power supply OUT of your system. It wasn't AS bad when I thought it was a Deepcool Gammax unit, although it still wasn't good, but being a GameMax unit makes it about 75% more likely that the power supply might have some fault in whatever is going on and whatever happened to your motherboard. Your VRMs are responsible for cleaning up power going to the board and a low quality PSU that is bombarding your board with out of spec voltage regulation or very high levels of ripple could seriously overheat the VRMs in very short order, or over a period of time, and that power supply definitely qualifies as a model that could fall in the probable category when it comes to such things.

While I don't strictly agree with all of the tiering placement on their list, I do agree that from what I've seen so far all of the GameMax power supplies belong on the "Avoid at all costs" section at the bottom of any list outlining PSU quality and fitness for a particular use.

Unfortunately it might well be too late for the board but I'll wait to even guess at that until I see pictures. I'd start with getting a better power supply. The list I linked to is useful in that regard, and reading this should be helpful as well. Now, my "guide" there is getting out of date now and I need to get it up to date with the inclusion of some more modern models on there, but overall it will still offer you some beneficial information that most people are not knowledgeable about.

KrumyMPG

Reputable
Dec 19, 2019
Well, the first thing you want to do is get that GameMax power supply OUT of your system. It wasn't AS bad when I thought it was a Deepcool Gammax unit, although it still wasn't good, but being a GameMax unit makes it about 75% more likely that the power supply might have some fault in whatever is going on and whatever happened to your motherboard. Your VRMs are responsible for cleaning up power going to the board and a low quality PSU that is bombarding your board with out of spec voltage regulation or very high levels of ripple could seriously overheat the VRMs in very short order, or over a period of time, and that power supply definitely qualifies as a model that could fall in the probable category when it comes to such things.

While I don't strictly agree with all of the tiering placement on their list, I do agree that from what I've seen so far all of the GameMax power supplies belong on the "Avoid at all costs" section at the bottom of any list outlining PSU quality and fitness for a particular use.

Unfortunately it might well be too late for the board but I'll wait to even guess at that until I see pictures. I'd start with getting a better power supply. The list I linked to is useful in that regard, and reading this should be helpful as well. Now, my "guide" there is getting out of date now and I need to get it up to date with the inclusion of some more modern models on there, but overall it will still offer you some beneficial information that most people are not knowledgeable about.

I read the list after I replied. I have the older (red and black) antec 750w HCG that I used in my old rig that I could swap it out with.