ExiledNinja

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I have a question on whether or not im getting enough power. I'm currently running a computer with the following specs.

Windows xp pro operating system
Intel Q6600 @ 2.4 ghz(quad core)
160 gb 7200 rpm, ultra harddrive
2 SLI Nvidia 8800gt 512mb
Standard lite-on disk burner/reader
nForce 780i sli motherboard
2 gigs of ddr2 800 (PC2 6400)

I had a 600 something watt power supply that worked for awhile and stopped working. I decided to give this 400 watt Antec power supply a chance just to see if it would even start up. To my surprise it started up fine. I checked the temperatures of both video cards and ran WoW, Unreal tournament, and oblivion on high settings(with sli) for about an hour just casually playing, seeing no artifacts or anything abnormal. I've now had this computer running for about three months doing everything from hi-def video editing to hi res games without any problems. Everyone I have ever asked, and me included have thought that it's just too low of a power supply for this kind of rig and I can't help but think that I might be losing some fps over this(if that is even a possible consequence).

So my basic question is, can you lose fps due to an inadequate supply of power and/or are there unforeseen consequences that I'm not thinking of; or am I fine and dandy.

curryj02

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
sounds like its working fine for you. if you really want to find out get a higher PSU (like a 550-650W) n run some benchmark comparisons. personally I doubt that performance would be affected - more likely stability.